Word 2003 file opening error

glenfiddick 15:53 09 Nov 2006

i have received an instruction manual as a word document and get the error message 'Word cannot open this file because it is larger than 32 Mb'
Checked on Microsoft site that contains info on parameters that largest file size is indeed set to 32 Mb, but no help how to increase this or work round.
Thanx in advance.

VoG II 16:32 09 Nov 2006

I'm puzzled - how was a file greater than 32 MB created in Word when the limit is 32 MB ???

Incidentally the 32 MB does not include graphics click here

32 MB worth of text is a heck of a long manual.

This will bump you to the top anyway.

James. 16:42 09 Nov 2006

It would seem that the file has been created and saved in an earlier version of word. The only workaround I can think of is to find someone with an earlier version 95/97? and divide the document into sperate smaller sized chunks.

VoG II 16:45 09 Nov 2006

Word 97 limit is also 32 MB click here

glenfiddick 16:54 09 Nov 2006

VoG- don't know how the originator managed to create this document i have more -the info on the file size is telling me 651 MB!

James. 17:00 09 Nov 2006

click here for an explanation, the file size limit (32 Mb) applies to text only, not graphics, which I suspect there are a large number in the file referred to.

Simsy 17:56 09 Nov 2006

that's HUGE!

I don't know, but you might be able to open it with OpenOffice..

click here

Just a thought... you say it's an instruction manual... Is it possible that this has been created in Word by your pal scanning in each page of a manual and creating the document by pasting the image of each page into the document? If so, what you effectively have is a document that consists of a "photo" of each page of the original... If the scanning was done at high resolution each "page" may be a large file size... multiply that by the number of pages...

If that's what's happened a different approach may be needed to making the document in the first palce.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?