WORD 2002 Spell Checker Doesn't!

User-064D8D8D-326C-46F0-A5916820C563BECF 03:11 04 Nov 2005

My spell checker suddenly stopped working. I followed all of the WORD Help instructions and checked my settings, but nothing helped. I couldn't find any problems. I can type in "mxkb" is WORD says its OK. I have applied all of the Microsoft Office updates, but no help. Any ideas? Without my spell checker, I am going to be generating some embarassing documents.

€dstowe 08:30 04 Nov 2005

Have you tried repairing Office (or Word) 2002?

Detect and Repair is in the Help file. You will most likely need the original disk(s)

oldnovice 08:40 04 Nov 2005

ispell is a good alternative it sits in tools on toolbar download from link

click here

oldnovice 08:48 04 Nov 2005

wrong link use this one click here

Diemmess 10:20 04 Nov 2005

A very old dodge which clears an unlikely number of seemingly unresolveable errors and may not help but surely worth a try.........

Close Word. Search for NORMAL.DOT and delete it.

This is part of winword.exe and next time Word is opened it will generate a brand new normal.dot and hopefully - behave.

The only downside is that Word's ordinary opening page will revert to default settings.

€dstowe 11:13 04 Nov 2005

As a small addition to Diemmess' advice. Rather than delete the NORMAL.DOT entry, rename it by calling it something like NORMAL.DOT.OLD This is a safeguard just in case something dire happens and you will then be able to restore the old entry by re-renaming back to what it was.

Jackcoms 11:48 04 Nov 2005

ieSpell, as its name implies, is a spell checker for Internet Explorer, not Word

I have searched for NORMAL.DOT and it does not seem to exist on my computer. I don't know if there is a larger problem at hand, but I also have noticed that WORD is taking longer and longer to load recently. I don't know if these two issues could have any relationship. I constantly update virus files and scan for those and other such files and don't seem to have any at this time. I am always suspicious of strange behavior and usually look to a virus as a potential cause. Should I try to reinstall WORD? My program files are on one hard drive and my work or output files are on another so I shouldn't run any risk of loosing anything. Thanks for all your help.

VoG II 13:01 04 Nov 2005

NORMAL.DOT is a hidden file - you have to enable searching for hidden files and folders in Search.

Diemmess 13:20 04 Nov 2005

Normal.dot or whatever the cause of your trouble might not be cleared by the uninstall/re-install routine!

I'm just guessing, but I think significant registry entries remain after "uninstalling" and these (including some error) may not be overwritten when Word is installed again.

That was the case a few years ago, when I tried in vain to correct a display error. "Re-doing" normal.dot however, did the job!

Peter 13:28 04 Nov 2005

Check to see if your document, and/or Word, is set to (no proofing). Open Word to a blank document, select the Language option off the Tools pull down menu and then select "Set Language". It should be set to English (United Kingdom), but if it is set to "no proofing", spell checking will not take place.

Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?