Won't install new USBs

gee drive 18:01 19 Oct 2007

My father was having trouble installing a Brother printer on his Dell XP SP2 machine. It ran the install disk upto the point where he needs to plug in the USB connection - then it waits forever. Very odd.

I took the printer and got it installed on a laptop. It didn't like the "included" software but the printer itself worked ok.

While that was happening I needed to move some files from my flash drive onto the Dell, but it wouldn't intall the drivers. I tried a different Flash drive - same thing. Then a USB hard drive, which it didn't even react to!

I found the driver, USBSTOR.SYS in the system32 folder, which is newer than the driver in the laptop.
Never the less I tried to update it from a CD burned from the lap top. It greyed out the box when got to the appropriate folder. So I can't even do it manually.

Any ideas?

postie24 18:15 19 Oct 2007

Try refreshing the usb ports,uninstall them in device manager,and reboot.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:49 19 Oct 2007

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

woodchip 18:56 19 Oct 2007

Try this remove all pluged in USB hardware, turn of Computer, on a Laptop you need to take the battery out and also remove the Mains Plug. Then Press and hold the Start Button on the computer for 5 seconds. Now try what you tried before with power back on

gee drive 21:48 19 Oct 2007

Yuck! Bad move. It will not reinstall any usb drivers. Now I have a row of yellow nasties.

It is starting to look like a complete system rebuild.

woodchip 22:01 19 Oct 2007

Just load the Drivers from the Usb Hardware yo have

woodchip 22:03 19 Oct 2007

PS also if you have a XP cd or not, go to run and in the box type SFC /SCANNOW note the space before /

gee drive 22:06 19 Oct 2007

It is impossible to load ANY USB drivers from ANY source. It just does not see them.

Work it stopped untill I go back there tomorrow.

what does SFC/SCANNOW do?

skidzy 22:17 19 Oct 2007

" what does SFC/SCANNOW do? "

repairs system files,you may need your xp disc.click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:23 19 Oct 2007

Beware

there is a space betweensfc and /
sfc /scannow

gee drive 22:25 19 Oct 2007

I don't think that Dell system disks are supposed to be used to repair files - at least that what it says on the disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?