Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review
I have been given a computer that went haywire and the owner went over to a Laptop. I had a new motherboard fitted(Asus MXV-MX Series) it has 250GB hard drive and 2GB Ram.
When I got it home and tried to boot up it goes into Pheonix Bios?
I can go to exit and by pressing Enter and F1 in various combinations I can get it to open Windows.
There were three previous users Daughter/Son-in-law/Granddaughter whose files are still there but all data /files have been lost.
How can I get it to open normally in Windows without the Bios palaver?
Once open it seems OK and I'm thinking of making it my main PC.
OS is XP.
Shouldn't there be a new battery with a new motherboard?
If it's not fitted correctly is it an easy job for a greenhorn to alter.
Yes there should be a new battery fitted with a new motherboard which is why your fault is so unusual. But a dud battery is the only reason I can think of that would result in your boot up problem. Why could the battery be dud? Maybe sitting on a shelf in the supplier - unlikely but possible I suppose. Perhaps Asus test their boards without having a battery in and then at the end of the manufacturing process put one in and it was a dud. Maybe the battery is good but has shifted in transit so it is not making correct contact. Anyway it should be easy to find and fix to see if that is the problem. The battery is flat, round, thin, shiny silver and about the size of a penny. Usually CR2032 or CR2036 is stamped on it. Normally fitted with the + side up and held in place by a clip on the side edge. If you have a voltmeter you can check it and it should be about 3 volts. They are readily available - even in Tesco - and cost anywhere between £1 and £3. I would locate it on the motherboard and see if it is securely fitted first, press down on it to make sure that it is clipped in and re-boot. Let the forum know if it works or if I have the diagnosis wrong.
Many battery products ship with plastic insulator between battery and terminals to be removed on first use. Often they have a little tab to easily pull them out.
Dunno if applies to Mobo CMOS batteries. Just a thought. Or maybe a jumper hasn't been set.
My old laptop clock hasn't worked for years. Compaq Armada e500.
(I put a new battery in). Since the LEDs and the main on/off switch on the same PCB don't work either, I suspect the PCB is duff.
It boots when I switch on at the mains and does not go haywire. Just get a loud system beep telling me to set the clock. A pain but all works fine.
I've located the battery and I just pressed down on it to see if it felt as though it was fitted OK and it seemed to wobble a little, should it be held firmly in place?
If it isn't should I take it back to the guy that fitted the new motherboard and ask for a new battery.
On another posting I noticed someone suggested that hard drives can degenerate with age/wear, would a replacement hard drive be beneficial?
My batteries always seem to to be pretty firm so if you think that it feels insecure you should get it checked out. I presume that despite your pressing down on it that it didn't solve your boot up problem?
Yes hard drives eventually wear out but there is usually a warning before they do so. If it is a 250Gb hard drive it can't be all that old as they haven't been around very long and it would have had to have a helluva thrashing to fail quickly. You would be advised however to get an external drive of at least the same size and use software such as Acronis True Image to make regular back ups of your hard drive - after you have got it up and running of course.
I can get it running but it always wants to go in the Bios first, if I wait when the Asus Screen says "Press Del" to enter and press F1 it will start in Windows OK, on the odd occasion it tells me there is a problem and to insert Boot disc, then I just press the reboot button and it usually starts OK with the F1 key.
What I want it to boot straight into Windows as it seems a bit round the houses this way.
I have it plugged into one of those energy saving plugs E-On where sending out that switch all the power off when the PC shuts off, the keyboard and mouse that were being used with the PC was a Logitech combination and I noticed even though all the power was allegedly switched off there was still a glow coming from the mouse (confirmed by my granddaughter whose bedroom it used to be in) Could it be this that caused the original problem and any battery faults now being experienced.
Sorry for being so longwinded.
You can adjust the timer so that it only shows the message for 1sec, it`s somewhere in the startup settings.
Try this, go into the BIOS and look at the Main page, towards the bottom it usually says Halt On and make sure that No Error is the one selected. Re-boot and try again. Let us know how you get on.
Perhaps I am being overly simplistic here and I apologise if I am.
But, have you actually gone into and correctly configured the BIOS yet? If you haven't, then that's why it won't boot straight off.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.