Won't boot unless reset CMOS every time?

werq 08:06 25 Feb 2014

Nothing happens when I push powerbuttom, and the light on the buttom is lighting orange instead of white. there is a green light on the back of pc,and a orange on motherbroad.

I tried move RAM stick and put it back, nothing happened. Then I tried with CMOS battery, it started without the battery, and even after I put it back.

Then a very confusing thing started to happen. every time I start it shortly after shut it down, it works perfect. But it's totally dead, when I try to start some hour after shuting down. I have to take out CMOS battery and put it back every time I try to start it, unless I start shortly after shuting down of couse. It even works without pull off all plugs, just take out the battery and put it back, whala, pc is working.

Had replaced battery but problem remains.

In event logg I found a error message : Error message: An error occurred while the provider of stored messages from the driver. Restart the Virtual Disk Service. hr = 80042505

What's causing this problem? Could it be BIOS? Should I try BIOS update? PC:Dell Inspiron 545 BIOS: A06

Plz help! Thanks!

werq 12:34 25 Feb 2014

yes I did , replaced it with a new one, but still same problem. Can only start normally if I try to boot some minutes after shout down.

Bris 18:17 25 Feb 2014

Check the voltage of the "new" battery with a multimeter if possible as it appears to be a dud, not unusual.

A possible reason why it powers up straight away is that the capacitors on the motherboard are retaining a charge for a short while and then the battery is taking over except that it isnt.

It could be a dud battery or the battery connection.

Daft question - you are installing the battery the right way round?

werq 19:21 25 Feb 2014

how can i check the battery connection?

eh, is there another way to install the battery? I just took it out and put a new one back in with number outsider to be seen.

Bris 19:46 25 Feb 2014

Assuming its a 3 volt lithium battery then the side with the plus sign usually faces away from the board but they can be fitted the wrong way round.

You can only check the connections with the board removed but would only do this as a last resort.

When you remove a spent battery then the voltage will rise as you take the load off. It could be that its recovering enough such that when you refit it there is enough voltage left to enable you to restart.

It could be that there is a partial short on the board or a faulty capacitor that is draining the battery.

Before you go any further I would check the voltage of the new battery.

werq 07:20 26 Feb 2014

Thanks for your help Bris and Jock1e, it's very nice of you.

Yep, the plus sign is facing outside, away from board.

When you remove a spent battery then the voltage will rise as you take the load off. It could be that its recovering enough such that when you refit it there is enough voltage left to enable you to restart.

Do you mean it is a dead battery which just got a little higher voltage every time I take it out? Should I try another one prehaps, since I dont't have any special equitment to check the voltage.

I don't think I found any capacitor that looks abnormal, so could it be a short on the board? i that case, how sould I check?

finerty 11:05 26 Feb 2014

do you have the handbook forthe motherboard if u do i would read to c if you have to use jumpers switches to reset the board or the cmos. i had to do this on a motherboard i had once.

Bris 17:32 26 Feb 2014

Manual here its worth looking at the section on replacing the battery and also clearing the CMOS RAM as finerty suggests.

If you dont have a means of checking the battery voltage then the only way you can determine whether the new battery is any good is to try one from another source.

I think whats happening is that when you put the battery in the default BIOS values are copied from static RAM into the CMOS RAM and it starts up. After its been off for a while its losing the CMOS settings which are preventing it from starting until you remove the battery and re-install it. The battery should be powering the CMOS when the PC is off but this isnt happening.

Conclusion is that either the battery is faulty or there is a fault on the motherboard.

Could be wrong of course.

werq 20:21 26 Feb 2014

Hi, finerty! I'm not sure what you mean with " i would read to c" what does c mean? Doesn't the jumpers switches have same function as remove the battery? Both reset BIOS?

Hi, Jock1e! I did select load default settings every time I start, so I got 1/1/2007 in Taskbar all the time. Have to change it when I'm inside Windows. BTW, Start shortly after shut down, I won't need to reset, and time would be correct.

When I got into BIOS, it says under Boot Device Configuration: Boot Device Configuration Hard disk Boot Priorityc Press Enter First Boot Device Removable Second Boot Device Hard Disk Third Boot Device CDROM Boot other Device enabled

Is this correct? Just remembered, I could start the computer even without the battery.

Hi, Bris! It's the manual which help me with how to reset BIOS and the battery is CMOS battery.

Don't have anything that uses a battery like this one, so I think I should try another one. Perhaps I happened "kill" it while install it.

So computer won't start when CMOS settings are lost? Since it could start shortly after shut down, it sounds quite reasonable.

How can I ccheck if there is a fault on the motherboard.

BTW just remembered, I could start the computer even without the battery.

werq 20:22 26 Feb 2014

Hi, finerty! I'm not sure what you mean with " i would read to c" what does c mean? Doesn't the jumpers switches have same function as remove the battery? Both reset BIOS?

werq 20:24 26 Feb 2014

Hi, Jock1e! I did select load default settings every time I start, so I got 1/1/2007 in Taskbar all the time. Have to change it when I'm inside Windows. BTW, Start shortly after shut down, I won't need to reset, and time would be correct.

When I got into BIOS, it says under Boot Device Configuration:

_Boot Device Configuration _

Hard disk Boot Priority__ Press Enter

First Boot Device____ Removable

Second Boot Device __ Hard Disk

Third Boot Device ___CDROM Boot

other Device______ Enabled

Is this correct?

Just remembered, I could start the computer even without the battery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?