Won't Boot Up!

bazza123 21:44 04 Dec 2006

Help! Was in the middle of upgrading to IE 7 when the computer froze (not the first time - seems to freeze quite regularly) and now I can't boot up - BIOS is fine but just get a blank screen instead of Windows loading (XP Home SP2).Ignores F8 for safe mode - also tried booting from Windows CD but doesn't get pass Setup.
Any advice please?

LastChip 21:56 04 Dec 2006

1. Do you have your CD/DVD drive configured in the BIOS as the FIRST boot device?

2. If so, did you hit enter when the start screen asked you to boot from the CD?

3. Do you have more than one CD drive you could try as an alternative?

4. Have you tried from a COLD start (as against a re-boot)?

Your CD should boot irrespective of any other concern and if it wont, you have problems with the hardware, rather than software, which could also explain the "freezes" you mentioned.

bazza123 22:19 04 Dec 2006

Doesn't have any effect whether I try and boot from CD drive (when setting as First Boot device) or from cold as normal. Computer can read the CD drive (have 1 CD/DVD rewriter newly installed) but still get a blank screen instead of Windows loading!

Fay2 22:28 04 Dec 2006

I'm not an expert Bazza..like the people on here but mine froze the other day..AFTER I'd upgraded to IE7...I had a few problems, then thought it was sorted..but it wasn't. I had to use my disc twice, once I managed to get on, I had to take the the whole lot back a full week..to a date before I installed IE7, before it would start OK.

woodchip 22:41 04 Dec 2006

Check the CPU fan is working as it should

woodchip 22:42 04 Dec 2006

Also check graphics card if it as a Fan that it is working as it should

LastChip 23:04 04 Dec 2006

If you have your CD drive set to first boot device, you are placing your Windows CD in the drive and hitting enter at the appropriate time, the Windows CD should take you to a menu irrespective of the state of your hard drive. The menu will offer a fresh install or a recovery.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment, is if you have SATA drive(s), you will need to press F6 soon after the loading process has started. Keep a close watch at the bottom of the screen, as the message is only there for a few seconds. You then require the SATA drivers available later in the process.

If that is not happening, you have a problem with your hardware.

The most likely problem from what you have described, is a bad memory card, but it could be any number of other devices causing the problem.

bazza123 00:49 05 Dec 2006

Hi lastchip -its not a sata drive but is a new replacement - and the Windows CD only gets as far as "setup is inspecting your hardware" & then hangs just the same as switching on from cold. I will try swapping the memory over - thanks.

bazza123 19:00 05 Dec 2006

I've tried swapping the cables, memory etc and still can't boot up! I've just been reading elsewhere on this forum about a glitch in installing IE7 where if there is a problem with updating files the program just hangs - which is exactly what happened to me! Now I can't even get my computer back!
What can I do?!!

toxin 20:10 05 Dec 2006

Hi Bazza123!

You've obviously got access to a computer so try click here

It got me going when I couldn't boot due to a missing OS.

Download the prog and burn the CD, then try it in the rogue computer.

Hope this helps, Toxin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?