Wondering how to . . .

User-CB94CED6-F3AA-42E7-8A286564F5DCBC14 14:12 24 Dec 2006

Here's an easy (I hope!) one for a full tummy on Christmas day (some hope!) or even earlier.

On my web page I have the usual content area 620px wide. At the beginning there's a header. Just underneath I have a string of small gifs forming a sort of pictorial representation for the subject. The code for this structure is below and I wonder if this is the best way to code this. For other pages I am thinking of a single pic spanning the whole content div and it might be good to be consistent. Should I wrap the pics up somehow?

Comment welcome.

h1> a name="content">Welcome to the curriculum page /a> /h1>
p> img src="img/re.gif" alt="" width="75" height="96" /> img src="img/france.gif" alt="" width="80" height="96" /> img src="img/science.gif" alt="" width="96" height="96" /> img src="img/music.gif" alt="" width="70" height="96" /> img src="img/maths.gif" alt="" width="110" height="96" /> img src="img/artist.gif" alt="" width="95" height="96" /> img src="img/sport.gif" alt="" width="95" height="96" /> /p>
hr />

Any comment on the use of horizontal rule? I use this frequently to break up the content.

PurplePenny 16:34 24 Dec 2006

I think of the horizontal rule as punctuation therefore it is content not presentation: the way it looks, controlled by CSS, is indeed presenation but the <hr itself is OK in my book.

(As an aside I think that the same argument can be applied to a line break. For instance when it appears in poetry or addresses it is a form of punctuation and therefore content not presentation.)

Yes, I agree content is 'what' and presentation is 'how'. I have now decided to add the pics on each page as a background reduced to 40% transparency. This is more elegant and removes the long para. It means that for each page the template for the content div is a parameter to achieve a different background pic on each page. The text is a bit of a worry but shows through quite well. What do you think?

seeky 22:02 02 Jan 2007

If it is just decoration it should be coded as such if at all possible.

Lining many images side by side seems like an odd idea to me. Is there a reason why you chose to go this way?

Well, just doodling really, The customer suggested it but it is not really elegant. Needs interspersing with side bar messages. I will think more on this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?