wnr2000 router

oldnovice 07:51 07 Oct 2009

HI i have virgin cable b/b i want to upgrade my router from wgr614 they supply to the wnr2000 when i connect the wnr2000 as instructed and run the cd wizard it finds the network adapter the network connection but cant find the modem but i have a wired connection to the internet with the router i have checked all connections reset router to factory settings i use windows xp can anyone help thankyou

mgmcc 08:51 07 Oct 2009

On every occasion that I've used a "wizard" to set up a Cable/DSL router, at the end of the configuration it has always indicated that it can't connect to the internet. Nevertheless, it does work properly. I now always configure a router manually (by typing its IP address into a web browser).

Is the Router getting its correct WAN addresses (IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers) from the Cable Modem?

Also, have you gone through the correct procedure for swapping a connection to the Cable Modem. You *MUST* power off the modem and leave it without power for several minutes so that it releases the association between the current connection (recognised by the adapter's/router's MAC address) and the IP address it has allocated to it). When powered on again, it will find a new connection and allocate a different IP address to it.

oldnovice 08:51 07 Oct 2009

if i do get any replies i am not ignoring you i wont be home from work till 6pm

oldnovice 19:43 07 Oct 2009

hi mgmcc had to uninstall old router software including virgin wireless manager then reconected as you suggested inserted cd wizard completed installation finding modem thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?