WMV files taking100% CPU!!!

mce01 13:03 10 Mar 2006

Hi,

Up to a few days ago my pc would happily play WMV files thru windows media player and Nero Showtime. However now even the smallest file wacks up the CPU to 100% and the video playback is jercky....in both players. Playing MPEGS is fine....its just WMV files. My cpu is a 3.2P4 and I have 1gig of ram.

These are files I have encoded myself I should point out. They play fine on my less powerful laptop. It applies to WMV files I created before the problem started and new ones.

I am running XP with all the updates installed. I don't thin kits anything to do with my video card (Matrox) as it was ok a few days back...plus I have deleted and reinstalled with the latest drivers to be sure.

Has it impacts both viewers I am thinking its the codecs. I have tried downloaded them from the Microsoft web site....but it makes no difference.

Since I last know it worked I have installed a few utilities relating to splitting videos plus DIVX and MPEG4 for ULEAD Videostudio. All apart from the MPEG4 have been removed.

I am pretty stumped! Can anyone suggest anything!!??

Thanks.

Matthew.

are you trying to encode or just play, if playing does your machine ever get the explorer.exe error where your display resets to your desktop also with the codecs i have found when encoding FFDShow filter cause Windows media encoder to fail this is also a poss with the player itself as never tried to play wmv as as soon as were encoded to wmv i recoded to mpg

mce01 13:30 10 Mar 2006

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I get no errors. Nothing fails. Its playing them that is the problem.

I have even tried using the Windows Media encoder to recode some stuff but still get the same problem.

Just found some other WMV files that I didn't encode and it doing the same. I assume 100% cpu playing WMV files is not normal!!??

Ta.

Matthew.

mce01 20:02 12 Mar 2006

anyone else got any ideas? Just tried it in 'safe mode'....and still 100% cpu! Someone please stop me from reloading XP from scratch!

woodchip 20:16 12 Mar 2006

This may be your problem click here

baldtaco 20:54 12 Mar 2006

For codec examination: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?