WMP9 WinME - Can`t Play CD`s

Taff™ 11:46 18 Nov 2005

The error message "Windows Media Player cannot find the specified file. Be sure the path is typed correctly. If it is, the file does not exist at the specified location, or the computer where the file is stored is offline"

I have googled this and found nothing relating to ME. I have turned off Autoplay but makes no difference. Tried another CD Rom Drive - no difference. The CD Rom Drive recognises the Audio CD and Data Discs.

Any one got a clue where to go with this one?

GaT7 16:06 18 Nov 2005

Some things to try. After each, reboot if necessary & check to see if the problem persists:

* click here

* In WMP>Tools>Options>Devices, highlight the drive(s) & click on Properties. Change Playback to Analog & click on Apply, OK, etc.

* Reinstall WMP over itself:
1. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player, double-click setup_wm & follow the wizard to reinstall.
2. Download a fresh copy from click here, double-click the file & follow the wizard.

* click here

Good luck, G

Taff™ 16:29 18 Nov 2005

Thanks for that - I`ll try on Monday and post back. Off for the weekend. Ihope!

Taff™ 14:42 21 Nov 2005

Tried all these but no joy at all. Same message persists. Any other ideas?

I should point out that I did use Partition Magic to combine two partitions on this drive but I have run the Drive Mapping Tool afterwards. Also could I have connected up the new CD Rom drive incorrectly?

Taff™ 07:46 22 Nov 2005

Bump

driving man 13:04 22 Nov 2005

Taff (Totally Mad) Good Afternoon. You may remember that some months ago I had a similar problem which I solved by installing WMP 10 over 9. Or is the system too old to take 10. Ps ---havent been about as medication was changed and it didnt agree with me. getting better now prob see you Fri

Taff™ 14:12 22 Nov 2005

System Too Old I`m afraid and I`ve tried re-installing over the top as well.

14all 15:26 22 Nov 2005

I've just installed WMP 9 on ME you have to down load a fix from microsoft first

Taff™ 15:30 22 Nov 2005

That`s News! Link to the info please?

14all 16:13 22 Nov 2005

I got the fix when I tried to down load the Player it said It wouldn't run on my system and quoted the Microsoft fix number that I needed.

One promblem I've thrown the number away, but I have found a page with ME fixs for Wmp 9 Player <a href="click here">Hopefully Here</a>
'

14all 17:52 22 Nov 2005

Taff

I found the fix I had to download but I donot think it's to do with your problem.

Turn on System Restore before installing the Player
Before installing Windows Media Player 9 Series, verify that System Restore is turned on. System Restore is available in Windows Millennium Edition, Windows XP Home Edition, and Windows XP Professional. For more information about System Restore, see Windows Help. Note that if you are running Windows Millennium Edition, you must download an update for System Restore.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?