wmp 9 re-install

six-h 16:42 11 Jan 2005

I seem to have corrupted my media player on a medion 8080 pc, without contacting the help line, can anyone tell me if wmp 9 is re-installable from the supplied recovery disk, or must I re set to factory settings with the other disk?
also if I can re install, will it overwrite the original, or must I remove the corrupt version from my pc first?

Technotiger 16:50 11 Jan 2005

Hi, I would advise uninstall wmp9 and instead download/install wmp10. Cheers.

six-h 16:56 11 Jan 2005

Thanks Technotiger, but I already have wmp10 on the sp2 disk as yet uninstalled as I am not connected to the internet at home. I prefer wmp 9(call me old fashioned!)

Technotiger 17:06 11 Jan 2005

Understood, no harm in having one's own preferences. I have never had to use a recovery disk, so can't advise on that score, except to say that uninstall/re-install is probably the best route.

Cheers.

handful 17:36 11 Jan 2005

You could try start-run and type sfc /scannow with the recovery disc in. I know this repairs IE, may do MP as well?

GaT7 17:36 11 Jan 2005

You could even reinstall WMP9 over itself from within Windows (no need for disc or uninstall). Look for a file called setup_wm (with an exe extension). Once located, shutdown running programs & WMP itself, then double-click setup_wm & follow the wizard to reinstall. G

six-h 21:04 12 Jan 2005

handful and Crossbow7,
many thanks for your advice, Too scary for me to do alone, have printed off your instructions and will execute as soon as I can get someone more confident to help me!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires