WMP 10 shuts down when playing CD or DVD

Iceman05 16:58 14 Sep 2006

Hi There, I wonder if anybody can help me, just recently, WMP 10 keeps crashing my computer. It only happens when I try to play a DVD or CD on it. The computer automatically restarts itself, I have recently deleted a number of dvd writing programs, could this be the cause of the problem?. I even tried upgrading to WMP 11, but the problem still persists. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....Iceman05

skidzy 17:09 14 Sep 2006

Have you deleted either Nero/Roxio

If so,check device manager for any yellow exclaimation marks.If any exist against the cd/dvd drive...Right click this and uninstall/Reboot and xp will load the drivers automatically.If no joy,post back.

STREETWORK 17:09 14 Sep 2006

Highly likely that software deleted has coused this to happen, trying to play the DVD is causing windows to search for the application.

Try and open your player first and then open the DVD to play...

Gongoozler 17:13 14 Sep 2006

Right-click "My Computer" select "Properties", click on the "Advanced" tab and look for "Startup and recovery" - click on settings there. Find "Automatically restart" and turn that off. The next time the computer encounters an error, you should get a message instead of an automatic restart and this might give a clue as to what is causing the problem.

Iceman05 10:36 15 Sep 2006

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am slightly further forward, in that, There is no problem with the cd/dvd drives, I switched off, the automatic shutdown, I opened WMP 10 and attempted to play a dvd/cd, but this resulted in a blue screen which told me the problem is with the CDFS FILE SYSTEM, it also presented me with the following error codes 0x00000026, 0x00000401f4, 0xf7514563,and also Gear AspiWDM.SYS, does anybody know what these codes mean.....Thanking you in advance....Iceman05

Gongoozler 13:57 15 Sep 2006

I can't offer anything at all definitive, but a Google search tends to link CDFS file system with the Windows CD writing software, so I wonder if there's a clash there with whatever other CD writing software you are using. There also appears to be a link between Gear Aspi and iTunes, so is that another possible line of investigation?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone