WMP 10 - deleting old libray entries?

terrypin 15:48 07 Sep 2006

I've made various changes to the folders that WMP 10 monitors. But tracks from 'old' folders are still shown under All Music, even though they are no
longer included in my list and mostly don't even physically exist any more at those HD locations. Why is that please? I assumed that WMP 'monitoring' also includes deleting inavlid entries?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

anskyber 16:02 07 Sep 2006

Have you got "delete files when deleting from library" checked?

anskyber 16:07 07 Sep 2006

Also in privacy have you unchecked "save file and url hisory in player"?

terrypin 13:58 09 Sep 2006

Thanks anskyber. But that's not going to sort it! I don't want to "delete files when deleting from library". I want the reverse. If I physically delete a file (or move it outside the monitored folders), then I want it deleted from the library.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

ACOLYTE 14:21 09 Sep 2006

Have you tired a new media search?,somtimes it deletes old stuff it cannot find.

anskyber 18:19 09 Sep 2006

Are we confusing files with folders. (perhaps its me!)

anskyber 18:28 09 Sep 2006

You really have confused me. You do not want "delete files when deleting from library"

You do want "If I physically delete a file..., then I want it deleted from the library."

Can you help more?

anskyber 18:50 09 Sep 2006

I'll give it one more go. This is from the WMP help section
"Media information about music files in your library, including files that were created when ripped from CDs, is displayed in the Player. The existing media information cannot be removed, but you can prevent new media information from being retrieved and displayed. Keep in mind, however, that doing so will cause any files created during ripping to be displayed in your library as "Unknown".

Click the arrow below the Library tab, and then click More Options.

In the Automatic media information updates for files area, clear the Retrieve additional information from the Internet check box.

This also clears the Update music files by retrieving media info from the Internet check box, located on the Privacy tab"

Also

"Media information about CDs or DVDs you have played is displayed in several places in the Player. You can remove the existing media information and you can prevent that information from being stored in the future. Keep in mind that if you do so, you will need to be connected to the Internet when you play CDs or DVDs to view album art, track names, album names, and so on.

Click the arrow below the Now Playing tab, click More Options, and then click the Privacy tab.

To remove information about CDs or DVDs you have played, click Clear Caches.

This also removes stored media information about devices that the Player syncs to, folders that the Player is monitoring, files on which you have performed a search through the Player, and files that you have deleted from your library.

To prevent media information about CDs or DVDs from being stored, clear the Display media information from the Internet check box.

If the Update music files by retrieving media info from the Internet check box (located in the same area) is selected, it is possible that media information for CDs you have played will reappear in the Player, if you had ripped music from those CDs to your library. To ensure that no media information for CDs is ever retrieved, you can also clear the Update music files by retrieving media info from the Internet check box."

If I have misunderstood your point then apols, but I hope the above helps.

toxin 22:12 09 Sep 2006

Hi Terrypin!

The easiest way to get rid of the reference to the old files is to remove the media player database files and then do a search for media files on the folders you require.

To delete the database; first ensure that you are displaying hidden files in "Folder Options"

Then find your "docs & Settings" folder,usually on drive C, dclick on this,goto your user name>local settings>application data>microsoft>media player, there you should find at least two files with a wmdb extension.
select these, rclick and delete. reopen Media Player, and your library should now be completely clear.

Hope this helps, Toxin.

terrypin 08:34 10 Sep 2006

[Apologies if this gets posted twice. The first *seemed* to get lost. But then, I'm having a lot of trouble using this site's Search facility. Can't seem to find any trace of my thread with it!]

---------

Many thanks for the follow-ups.

I may well eventually take the 'fresh start' approach of deleting the db and letting WMP 10 remake it. But before that I'll try a few more experiments, if only to understand better a few aspects that still confuse me.

In particular, I don't think I have a proper grasp of the implicatiions of these two options:

- 'Rename music files using rip music settings'
- 'Rearrange music in rip music folder, using rip music settings'

At some stage I think I've had both enabled. When I looked this morning, just the second was checked, and for time being I've unchecked that too. It's the reference to RIPPING that muddies my water. Whta are 'rip music settings'? And what is 'rip music folder'? And I'm not DOING any ripping at the moment anyway!

Help on this doesn't *mention* the 'rip' word:
"In addition, if the option to rename music using media information is selected, changes to media information in your files may cause the files to be moved to another location in your library; if the option to rearrange music using media information is selected, changes to media information in your files may cause the files to be moved to another location in the folder to which the files were copied." So that's clearer for me at least. But what settings do most users make for these two potentially powerful option splease?

Some specific responses to anskyber:

I don't follow this navigation instruction: "Click the arrow below the Library tab, and then click More Options." I don't have such an arrow, or see 'More Options'.

I do have "save file and url hisory in player" checked, although that seems irrelevan to surrent issue.

I'm not confusing files and folders <g>.

I definitely don't want "delete files when deleting from library". And I definitely do want that physically deleted files are deleted from the library! (Who would want otherwise? Keep entries in a library that no longer exist?)

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

toxin 10:59 10 Sep 2006

Hi Terrypin,
Personally, I object to WMP changing the data on my WMA files, so all the boxes on the Auto Media Info box are unticked.

How the rip music settings affect the renaming of files, I don't know; for as far as I can see the only thing you can vary is the quality of the ripped file.

I think the best course of action is deleting the database; it only takes a few minutes for WMP to reload all the files to the database.

One point you may not have noticed is that each account on the computer can have a different database. So log yourself in as a guest and compile a new database. Toxin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?