wma licence

student86 21:12 16 Sep 2005

i have ripped this cd that i like very much with the intention of transferring the music to an mp3 player. after i had ripped it, i tried to play it and there was an error message saying that i had to procure a licence for protected content. i can now play it on my computer but will i be able to play it on my mp3 player were i cannot download a license.

ade.h 22:24 16 Sep 2005

Are you asking whether it will actually play correctly or whether it will be legal to do so? It should play fine if it now works on your PC, though the letter of copyright law, if interpreted strictly, doesn't want you to. But no-one's going to take you to court over it; they're too busy chasing full-time die-hard P2P sharers.

Thalmus 22:36 16 Sep 2005

if so there is a option that stops files you've ripped from being played on other devices.

Goto tools > options and click the rip tab, untick the box that says copy protect music

student86 00:42 17 Sep 2005

what is wrong with me ripping a cd that i bought from hmv and playing it on my mp3 player. I don't understand this law ?

ade.h 17:11 17 Sep 2005

I'm not suggesting that you obey (or disobey for that matter) the minutiae of copyright law, just stating it as it stands. As it often states in the small print "it is prohibited to copy, lend or broadcast this recorded work, etc. etc...."

As I said, no-one is really the slightest bit interested in anyone who makes a copy or two for personal use. The law is designed to mitigate against commercial activity, distribution, etc. such as selling copies at a carboot sale or publishing it on a P2P network.

I have copies of favourite albums on my PC for the convenience of having something to listen to while I work. In comparison to things like P2P, it's not an issue that I would lose sleep over.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?