WMA files convert to IPOD?

Roy* 13:18 24 Jun 2007

My daughter has bought a lot of tracks from MSN over the past year, but now she has an IPOD Nano. She's installed the itunes software and went through the process of converting all existing music on the PC to the itunes format. However for all the tracks that she's bought from MSN they are WMA and protected so it can't convert them.

Any top tips how to convert them or at least get them on to the ipod?

User-1159794 13:31 24 Jun 2007
  ambra4 13:58 24 Jun 2007

Free iPod Video Converter provides an easy and completed way to convert all popular video formats to iPod video. You can enjoy DVD/VCD and AVI, MPEG, WMV, RM, RMVB, DivX, ASF, VOB video files in your iPod with few clicks. The program is a freeware

click here

ambra4 14:00 24 Jun 2007

Free WMA to MP3 Converter can convert Windows Media files to MP3 files which can be played in MP3 Players. All Windows Media formats (*.wma, *.wmv, *.asf) are supported.

click here

Roy* 22:32 25 Jun 2007

Thanks Rapscallion

I have tried the link but it doesn't seem to work. I tried converting an wma file to aac, it created a aac file which you had to download but it was only 17Kb and when you then tried to import it in the iTunes package nothing happened,

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

Just to clarify I’m trying to convert protected wma tracks (bought from MSN) to aac format which can then be imported to iTunes and put onto ipod.

Thanks ambra4

I downloaded the free wma to MP3 converter but every time I tried to add file to task list it came up with the error ‘the file cannot be read need to update to DirectX 8.1 or higher, I have 9.0?

Help please?

ambra4 23:02 25 Jun 2007

Try this one

click here

Roy* 19:55 27 Jun 2007

I've tried that but when you select the track to convert it comes up with the following message:

Can't add
(file location etc)
your wma file is it DRM protected?

I know the tracks are protected because they were bought off msn, does this mean they can't be converted?

ambra4 20:21 27 Jun 2007

Roy this will help you to understand the problem to covert DRM wma files

click here

Roy* 22:44 27 Jun 2007

That looks like a comprehensive step by step, I'll give it a go when I find a spare few hours.....

Crystal Noir 12:49 02 Jul 2008

You may also try converter Tunecab, it converts almost all audio/video files, protected and unprotected. It very clear and easy to use. click here

Minkey1 14:43 02 Jul 2008

Hi Roy. I work with protected wma stuff. The "official" workaround is to burn the licensed wma files to audio CD's, then import the CD tracks in to iTunes as either AAC's, or mp3's.

It's a big job though if your daughter has lots of tracks.

As an alternative, the only converter app which we've found which works with protected content like this is from click here

Select all files with it, choose the new format, and let it get on with it. Base version is about a tenner but saves a lot of time, and discs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?