WMA

Mr "B" 09:56 04 Feb 2006

I've just noticed on my new laptop that i cannot play a DVD on it, it seems just to freeze up. it works on the other software i have. Is there a setting i can change to help playback on this matter. Cheers

SG Atlantis® 10:06 04 Feb 2006
  Diodorus Siculus 10:07 04 Feb 2006

Do you mean DVD films? If so, do you have a DVD with software on it rather that a film? Will it run that?

If so, it may be that it needs a DVD decoder.

Mr "B" 10:11 04 Feb 2006

Sorry what I meant to say was that it is a normal DVD film which doesn't play on windows media player.

Diodorus Siculus 10:13 04 Feb 2006

In which case get the codecs as suggested by SG Atlantis®

Mr "B" 10:48 04 Feb 2006

Shoul i be getting codes etc, the pc is less than a week old and its the first time i've tried to play a dvd.
Do you think its worth taking it back to where a bought it?

Diodorus Siculus 10:49 04 Feb 2006

Try the codecs - likely a software problem.

Did you get anything like PowerDVD with the PC?

If the hardware is running fine, then a little software tweaking will get you going fine.

Diodorus Siculus 10:50 04 Feb 2006

By the way, what make / model is it?

SG Atlantis® 10:53 04 Feb 2006

When you buy a computer it comes with the most basic set up, you need to install software and additional things to get the full functionality that you want from it.

Not everyone wants the same things from a computer, hence why they come with the most basic setup.

No I wouldn't take it back, just install the codec.

Mr "B" 08:15 05 Feb 2006

i downloaded a codec from the link SG atlantis gave but still haven't installed cause it gives me warning saying running it may harm my computer etc!! Is this all ok to carry on with and is it pretty fool proof to install cause i'm far from a demon on a PC!!

SG Atlantis® 08:33 05 Feb 2006

it's fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?