At wits end corner - advice needed please

tinacee1 16:51 20 Mar 2010

Hiya - I have spent the day searching the internet for information about my new Toshiba laptop which I purchased last night from Tesco. A Toshiba L500-1XC, which I got a good deal with (£100 off recommended price).
I am completely new to laptops as I have been using my desktop pc for 8 years - I decided that it's life was coming to an end as it kept crashing and that I would buy a laptop. I managed to set it all up until problems arose when trying to connect to O2 mobile broadband. spent ages on the phone to O2 about installing on new laptop. Discovered that I have to have a 'patch' sent by O2 in the form of a software disc as the connection manager tool can't accomodate Windows 7 which is pre-installed on the new laptop.I have decided to buy a dongle from another mobile internet provider to get around this problem (I see a better deal with '3' network anyway.

What I am trying to find out is if there is anywhere that I can download information about how to get my head around this new laptop (i.e. user guides or the like) The user manual which came with the laptop is basic.

Also is there a beginners guide to using Windows 7 - I am so used to Windows XP and this new Windows 7 is so different and I am finding it very complicated. I would appreciate any advice from forum users out there. I am off to take a few paracetamol tablets now as I have given myself a corker of a headache trying to find information. The Toshiba website (Europe) is of no help and keeps freezing up when I try to access their 'user forum' - so I'm at a loss as to where to turn about this.

Thanks for reading this long drawn out post.

bremner 16:58 20 Mar 2010

Dummies are usually good for beginners click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:07 20 Mar 2010
  Pineman100 17:07 20 Mar 2010

Here's a website with a very comprehensive list of tutorials on every aspect of Windows 7:
click here

As for a manual on your laptop, are you sure that there isn't one installed on your hard drive? Most new computers nowadays come with a very simple 'get-you-started' booklet, but have a comprehensive manual as a file on the hard drive. It may be a PDF file.

Or try going to the Toshiba website and looking for a download.

woodchip 17:18 20 Mar 2010

why not right click on task bar choose properties, then change bto classic mode so you can find your way round. you can change back at any time.

do you have a icon on the desktop on getting to know how to use it? if not and you got a cd with the laptop check that for help or readme files

MAJ 18:16 20 Mar 2010

There's quite a decent manual for download on the Tosh support site click here

Family > Satellite
Series > L500
Model > Satellite L500-1XC

Click "Go" then click on the "Download Manual" tab.

tinacee1 20:17 20 Mar 2010

Thanks to all who responded to my distress call !
I will try out the links you gave me. Cheers

Forum Editor 21:58 20 Mar 2010

that a laptop is just a computer - it's not a great deal different to your desktop machine in most respects.

Windows 7 is going to be much the same, regardless of the machine on which it's installed, so you don't need to worry too much - you'll rapidly feel at home with your new computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017