Wish to disconnect from internet.

prince midas 12:10 09 Apr 2007

I have a desktop machine on XP Pro connected to the internet to receive updates from Microsoft,Virus updates,antispy updates etc.

I am purchasing a new laptop on Vista.

I do not want to have both machine connected to the internet wasting my time on updates.

So which machine would you suggest I keep on the internet as if I need updates on the other machine I can transfer them.

By doing this I can get rid of all spyware programs,virus programs etc on the machine not connected to the internet.

p;3 12:16 09 Apr 2007

I have a desk top and a lappy BOTH internet enabled; the desk top is on more than the lappy ; but BOTH have full protection installed on them ; IF one fails I can readily use the other; my view would be to keep ALL the protection programs on BOTH ; you never know when you just might need TO use it;

prince midas 12:28 09 Apr 2007

P3 I understand exactly what you say but I do not want both machines connected to the internet as I do not want them both asking me for updates etc.
I make backups every week onto an external drive so if one machine goes down I still have the external backups.

My question is which is the best machine to connect to the internet,the desktop on XP or the Laptop on Vista?

p;3 12:31 09 Apr 2007

my suggestion might be to wait and see how /if the new machine 'plays up' before making any decisions?
you do not have to have them BOTH permanently connected to the net; mine arnt

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?