Wirless network between buildings

Gary Wood 19:40 04 Sep 2006

I need to create a network between an office and a workshop which are about 20 metres apart. I am for an inexpensive wireless solution to this. Can anyone advise me of an appropriate simple setup and the hardware I need? The office currently has a Netgear DG814 router so hardware compatible with that would be good.

Many thanks in advance,

Gary

ade.h 20:30 04 Sep 2006

If you can place the router close to, but not below, a window and place a desktop aerial in a window of the workshop, then it might well be sufficient, provided that you have a clear line of sight between the two points. Once radio signals are free of buildings and obstacles, they travel quite a fairly long distance, as you can see when you pick up nearby networks.

Gary Wood 20:37 04 Sep 2006

ade.h,

Thanks for yor reply. However, the space between the workshop and the office is used as a car park, so there is not a clear line of sight. Is this likely to matter?

If not, what equipment will I need? The existng router is just a wired model. So, presumably in the office I'll need a wireless access point and an aerial I can connect to it to position on the window ledge (or could the access point itself just go on in the window?). Then, at the other side, in the workshop, I'll need an aerial, but what will this connect to? And how do I then connect my computer to that?

If you can give me examples of specific hardware at somewhere like Dabs, I'd appreciate it!

If the car park is likely to present a problem, I assume I'll need some kind of outdoor aerials which can be mounted highter up? Again, how will these connect to the existing router and what equipment do I need at the workshop side?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

ade.h 20:47 04 Sep 2006

Yes it will; great chunks of metal are not conducive to receiving high-frequency wireless signals!

Outdoor aerials? Not sure, to be honest. That's getting complex and I don't know if it's possible/practical.

If the car park wasn't there, you would add a WAP or a wireless cable/DSL router to the Ethernet router, then choose a PCI or USB adapter that has an external aerial on a wire, such as the Linksys desktop USB receiver. If these places were both on the first floor, you'd be set, but the cars will be an issue.

De Marcus™ 02:54 05 Sep 2006

Outdoor antenna (weird looking ;-) click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?