Wirless Network

steven_frost 20:26 11 Mar 2004

i want to set up a wirless network at home for my desktop and laptop computers how hard is it to do i want have a broadband router but still want to be able to let my girlfriend access the shared files and also the printer which is connected to the desktop also whats the best firewall to have or are the ones with an inbuilt firewall any good

byfordr 20:33 11 Mar 2004

Click here for the wireless bit
click here

Shouldn't be a problem. Just enable file sharing. You can wire the desktop into the router and save money on a wireless adapter if it is next your phoneline. If not you need some form of wireless adapater for each pc.

Zonealarm is a excellent free one. If not outpost, kerio and plenty of others forum member will suggest.

HTH

R

Gongoozler 20:36 11 Mar 2004

I've been looking into this myself, and a found this to be a useful introduction click here

steven_frost 20:41 11 Mar 2004

the desktops up stairs of an ext lead filtered but works fines so your saying its better to have the desktop hardwired in to the router and the laptop wirless

byfordr 20:43 11 Mar 2004

No would just save you the cost of a wireless adapater.

steven_frost 20:45 11 Mar 2004

Okey Dokey so all i need to know now which is better a router with a builtin firewall or a software one i'm running zonealarm pro at the moment

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?