Wirless laptop refuses to connect

old&nojob 17:54 09 Apr 2006

My laptop wireless is not getting an IP address assigned (it shows 0.0.0.0. On trying to connect it does show the connection in the wireless window but keeps going into and out of 'trying to get network address'. When I access the DG834G router management pages and try for 'get connected devices' it fails to show the laptop (so obviously has not managed to issue an IP address).

Both ends are set WPA with key issued from the laptop.

If I try to setup a network connection from the laptop it fails to find the network (which I suppose I should expect)?

Is this perhaps a firewall problem (set null in the DG and to allow in the laptop)? Any further help appreciated.

Forum Editor 18:13 09 Apr 2006

it's far more likely to be associated with the WEP encryption.

Try turning WEP off on the router, and see what happens. My guess is that your laptop will be able to connect immediately.

mgmcc 08:42 10 Apr 2006

WPA encryption can be problematical when using a router and wireless adapter from different manufacturers. Try, as F.E. suggests, disabling encryption and, if that allows you to connect, try using WEP instead of WPA.

Aargh 10:24 10 Apr 2006

Is your router set to assign IP's automatically (normal) or do you have to enter settings manually?

On your laptop select Start>Run>type in cmd> type in ipconfig> press return

This will display the IP address for your laptop (192.168.2.xxxxx) and your router gateway address (192.168.2.1?) -so atleast then you should have the settings to configure manually, if the network has made any connection.

Could be firewall/security or could be a failure on your wireless card etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?