Wirless connection suddenly gone very slow.

scubydoo 10:24 15 Aug 2006

Following the advice I recieved on here (thanks!) I managed to get the wireless connection working on my laptop. I had great fun moving around the house, and the speed was excellent. However yesterday it was almost unusable as it was soo slow.

I have tried sitting right next to the router, and tried connecting with the ethernet cable to see if it makes a difference but it didnt.

We don't have a cordless phone, and my laptop doesnt pick up any other wirless connections in the area so I dont think there should be much interference (but I'm not sure how it works anyway I'm afreaid so I could be wrong). The other thing I have tried is changing the channel from 1 to 11, but that didnt make any difference either.

I don't know anyone who has any idea about wireless connections so I feel very much alone wondering around in the dark on this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Don't know if its any help but I have....

NETGEAR DG834G router
NETGEAR WG511 54Mbps Wireless PC Card
Acer 1350 Laptop.

FelixTCat 10:55 15 Aug 2006

scubydoo,

There are a number of devices which use the same frequency band are wi-fi and it could be any of these.

One you haven't mentioned is Digisender, a device which transmits a TV signal from one room to another.

You say that it was no better when you used an ethernet cable to connect, which might suggest that it isn't your wireless connection at fault. In any event, if you double-click on your wireless network icon in the Taskbar it tells you the wireless speed (effectively the signal strength) you are getting.

Do you ever check your internet download speed? Try going here click here and clicking on Speed Test. This tells you how fast data will transfer from the internet to your pc. It could be that your adsl connection is having a bad wire day.

The other check that you could do is go into your router's setup pages. One of them (Status, ADSL or some similar name) will tell you things like the Downstream Rate, Upstream Rate, Downstream Margin, Signal/Noise Ratio and a load of other guff. The interesting figures are Downstream rate or speed (in Kbits/sec) and downstream margin (S/N ratio) in dB or sometimes no units). The downstream rate is the connection speed of your modem - the higher the better - and the S/N ratio tells you how noticeable the adsl signal is over the background noise - again, the higher the better. You can't directly change these in the modem.

Also, make sure that every phone etc socket has a microfilter and that nobody has removed one, dislodged one or started using a new or previously unused extension.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Regards,

Felix

scubydoo 11:06 15 Aug 2006

Thanks Felix.

I'll try what you said. I'm at work at the moment though so will have to wait til I get home. Although I should say that when i held the cursor over the wireless icon - the little computer with the )))-it said speed was 54mbps and the signal was excellent.

scubydoo 11:07 15 Aug 2006

Thanks Felix.

I'll try what you said. I'm at work at the moment though so will have to wait til I get home.

We don't have any TV gizmos like you described. And I should say that when i held the cursor over the wireless icon - the little computer with the )))-it said speed was 54mbps and the signal was excellent.

I'll let you know how I get on.

FelixTCat 11:12 15 Aug 2006

scubydoo,

Thanks for that. That confirms that there is nothing wrong with your wireless signal. It is therefore likely to be a glitch in the adsl signal or in your phone system at home.

Regards,

Felix

scubydoo 12:25 15 Aug 2006

So can I confirm....

I need to check my phone lines have a microfilter. I know that they do, but like you say they might have come loose.

If it is the adsl signal, is this a problem with my ISP (AOL), do I need to give it time for them to sort out at their end, or is it something I can/need to do?

FelixTCat 14:55 15 Aug 2006

scubydoo,

Best thing to do is monitor it for a day or so. Check the download speed on adslguide and the download rate in your modem.

If it persists for another day, contact your ISP, who should deal with BT for you.

If you are on a Max product (up to 8 Mbit/sec service), it can take up to 3 days to re-establish your normal speed after a glitch, because the Max system monitors the line conditions and adjusts the rates to give the maximum fault-free speed - it can drop the speed very quickly, but only increases it relatively slowly.

Hope it's sorted quickly.

Regards,

Felix

scubydoo 12:32 16 Aug 2006

Sorry Felix - I got all impatient and couldnt help myself so I started messing around.

I eventually uninstalled everything (a couple of hairy moments when I thought I'd uninstalled something I shouldn't have done), reinstalled it and now it works fine. It was working last night, and again this morning so....fingers crossed it will last.

Thanks again for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?