Wirless connection problem

tom_duerden 10:49 01 May 2007

My laptop is showing a very strong signal but i cant use the internet... i have tried all the suggestions in previous posts, but none seem to work (ie, repair etc). The problem arose when i took my laptop to a friends and came back to find it would not connect to the router (belkin). When i try using internet in displays the message server not found.

My mum has a laptop also and hers works perfectly... i have checked all her settings with mine and they are identical.

Can anyone help me with this?

postie24 13:11 01 May 2007

If you used the laptop at your friends on the internet,you will find you will have to re-enter your wep/wpa key again.
Try turning off the encryption via the router homepage for a minute and see if you can connect

tom_duerden 13:22 01 May 2007

Yeah, that's great but being a fool, i've gone and misplaced the WEP key. I know i know!!!

Sebastian Ereira 13:25 01 May 2007

£234.48 is the price that i saw

Sebastian Ereira 13:27 01 May 2007

$199.99 on amazon in america

Sebastian Ereira 13:28 01 May 2007

sorry wrong post what a shmoo

tom_duerden 13:32 01 May 2007

also cant even access the ip address which is usually the way i reconnect (i think that is the router homepage, right???) (please excuse me, i'm not totally computer illiterate, but when it comes down to this i admittedly dont have a clue)

rodriguez 14:13 01 May 2007

Plug the computer into the router with an Ethernet cable (there should have been one supplied with you're router, they're usually yellow or grey) and login to the router with that instead of wireless. From there you can go into the wireless settings and retrieve your WEP key.

postie24 15:28 01 May 2007

Doesnt matter if you have lost wep key,create a new one,wpa is more secure than wep.Create a key like these found here click here

postie24 15:33 01 May 2007

Sorry forgot to mention,the homepage will be a set of numbers,192.168.0.1
The last to numbers differ depending on your ISP
Click start/run,type in cmd,in the open box type in, ipconfig/all then hit enter
This will give you all the info

Postie24

tom_duerden 17:23 01 May 2007

Hey i appreciate this guys.... but can you please break it down in more simple terms. So how do i login to the router using the ethernet? it just uses wireless still and says it cant.

Basically all i need to do (i think) is get to the router page where i can then click "connect" and it will work but i cant yet!!

please be patient with me guys, i feel terrible not being able to sort this myself

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?