Wiring up hi-fi speakers through a PC

  RamUK 16:45 18 Jan 2003
  RamUK 16:45 18 Jan 2003

I want to wire up a pair of normal hi-fi speakers through my pc. They will be dedicated to the pc, but what do I need to do and will normal speaker cable do it?


  -pops- 16:48 18 Jan 2003

There is no integral power amp in a normal PC so connecting speakers to it would not work. All computer speaker systems as far as I know have a power amp in one of the speaker cases or in the Subwoofer unit of more complex systems.


  RamUK 16:51 18 Jan 2003


  GANDALF <|:-)> 16:54 18 Jan 2003

You need a pair of active speakers, ie ones that have an integral amplifier click here


  misery 19:10 18 Jan 2003

can run the speakers through your hi-fi with no problems. I'm assuming they're all within the same area of course.

  graham 19:27 18 Jan 2003

there may be an amplifier on it. As for cable, the run would presumably be short so a light gauge cross-section should suffice.

  Djohn 19:34 18 Jan 2003

graham, would I be correct in thinking the amp of a sound card will work if digital sound is selected?

  graham 19:43 18 Jan 2003

The amp of a sound card is normally used to drive the little speakers at the side of the monitor. Not sure what you mean by digital sound, it's analogue coming out of the amp.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?