Wiring An Extension From a BT Master Socket

Newuser939 16:27 20 Apr 2014

Currently the wiring to my Master Socket comes up the outside of a house wall and through the wall to the Master Socket. A wire then comes back out through the wall to an extension socket. I now need another extension, but for reasons of accessibility it would not be convenient to take wiring out of the back of the existing extension. My question, therefore, is whether it is possible (even if I have to get BT to do it) to take the wiring to a second extension out of the back of the Master Socket, or whether only one extension can be served in that way.

alanrwood 17:00 20 Apr 2014

You can take it from the master socket. It will allow connections up to REM 4 and each phone has a different REM value so just add them up. In actual fact I have run at a higher REN quite happily.They all operate in parallel. Just need to connect 23 and 5. You can miss out 3 if you don't need ringer supply. (Lots of newer phones have their own internal supply for the ringer)

wiz-king 17:12 20 Apr 2014
  spuds 17:26 20 Apr 2014

Do you have filters on all your equipment sockets using the BT line?.

The reason why I ask, is when BT OpenReach installed a new master socket for my home use, they by-passed all the other sockets around the house, so doing away with the filters.

From the master box, they installed a separate broadband cable direct to the router. When I have a problem,and try to explain that system to my ISP (TalkTalk), it leaves their overseas technical support team rather confused!.

Newuser939 18:06 20 Apr 2014

Thank you all for those replies. However, wiz-king, the diagram in your link is in a sense exactly what I do not want to do, with the second extension linked to the first. Instead, I want both extensions to come directly from the Master Socket.

wee eddie 18:25 20 Apr 2014

BT will charge you about £100. For a fiver, you can buy an extension lead that just plugs into the Master Socket

bumpkin 18:38 20 Apr 2014

You do not have to come from the first extension if not convenient. Just use exactly the same wiring but take it directly from the master socket to your other extension.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:13 20 Apr 2014

Assuming you have a NTE5 master socket

remove two screws on front bottom half of master socket

the wiring to the extension will be attached to that plate.

Run the new extension cable through the wall to the front plate and connect same coloured wires to the same connections using the IDC insertion tool (you can get these from Wilkinsons or other hardware stores)no need to even strip the coloured cable as it is done as you press it into the IDC connection.

Batch 12:20 21 Apr 2014

Another link that maybe useful:

click here

onthelimit1 13:52 21 Apr 2014

It is worth using a proper insertion tool to plug the wires into the connections - I got one from ebay for a couple of quid with free postage an example here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?