wirelsss help please!!!!!!!!!!!!

lapnutty 10:19 05 Apr 2007

Hi

I've just made my laptop wireless with belin wirless modem/router which is fine.

I've got the adaptor on my pc tower upstairs and the wirless icon comes on the screen. however when i try to connect to my secured wireless network i get network out of range.

however if i take the laptop upstairs it works fine!

my tower is quit ol and does have usb but they are 1.0. i use a 4 port hub which is 2.0 and everything i plug in works fine. but not the netwrk adaptor.

does this mean ican't go wirelsss upstairs?

any suggestions welcome.

thank you.

dms05 11:43 05 Apr 2007

What type of adaptor are you using on the PC Tower? Does it have a removable antenna, or can it be moved itself. If so try moving it around a little and changing the antenna from vertical to 45 degs then horizontal. I don't think your USB and hub are the problem.

After that try changing the the Channel for the WiFi. Do you pick up any other WiFi Networks close by? If you do they may be interfering with each other. Try to keep the channels 5 apart (ie 1 or 6 or 11 and so on).

Good luck.

Ashrich 22:15 05 Apr 2007

If you are using a USB2.0 adapter in a USB1 port then it won't work as well as it should , try using WEP encryption and use the adapter at 11mb/s . All encryption has overheads , meaning it uses processor cycles and memory , if the PC is quite old it may not have enough power to run high encryption such as WPA , in fact if you are not running XP then WPA is out of the question , try what I suggested above , picking up a signal and connecting and swapping data with it are two different things .

Ashley

lapnutty 07:40 06 Apr 2007

hi

thanks for your help.

i'm now wirefree! i contacted belkin helpline as well and together it's worked.

i'm really pleased - my adapter is haning over the side of my screen but it works!.

thanks again

r

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?