Wirelesss connection

Scubaman 14:03 19 Apr 2010

Hi, I have a Dell Latitude D520 and was wondering what PC card I need in order to go wireless. The slot on the side is empty. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Scubaman

gary2112 14:08 19 Apr 2010

well you dont need a card for your laptop there are usb sticks for wirless networks .and there quite cheap as well

onthelimit 14:33 19 Apr 2010

Are you sure it's not equipped with an internal wireless card already? You can check in Device Manager under Network Devices

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:35 19 Apr 2010

Wireless Card click here

Wireless Dongles click here

LAN dongle to connect to your router, phone dongles for Sim connection on the move.

birdface 16:50 19 Apr 2010

As I know nothing about Dell Latitude D520 Just wondering if it has already got wireless installed and you have to switch it on.
Some laptops have a switch to turn it on others you have to press Fn+f2 others may be different.

Pineman100 16:55 19 Apr 2010

According to Dell's spec sheet, that laptop is already wi-fi enabled.

click here

Scubaman 19:24 19 Apr 2010

Hi guys,
In the device manager I only have Network adapters - 1394 Net Adapter and Broadcom 449x 10/100 Integrated Controller.

birdface 19:42 19 Apr 2010

There should or might be a switch or different keys to press on your keyboard to start the wireless connection.Broadcom should be your wireless connection.
maybe try Control panel.Administration Tools.Services ,And scroll down to WLAN and make sure it is set to Automatic.
But like I said you should have a way to switch the wireless on from your keyboard or a switch.

birdface 20:05 19 Apr 2010

As I am not sure how it works i will leave it for others to advise.
But check your keyboard normally at the front left hand side and see if you see one of the keys with an f/n on it on small print.

If you find one press it along with the F2 key and see if it connects then.

Scubaman 20:29 19 Apr 2010

Hi buteman,
I have pressed the F2 & Fn and yes the WiFi icon appears and is switched on, but still no connection. There is no WLAN in the Services list, should there be? I have downloaded the drivers for the Broadcom PCI mini card but still no joy.

birdface 07:51 20 Apr 2010

Sorry Scubaman not sure what you would have to do next.
I know very little about wireless connections just a bit that I picked up when trying to fix my granddaughters laptop.
She had 2 connections on her system tray.
1 was the local area connection and that had a red cross on it as she was using the wireless connection and of course the other was the Wireless connection.
I am assuming that you have a wireless router installed it would be a matter of right clicking the wireless connection to see if it is picking up any wireless signals and of course if it picks up yours you would need to put your password on to it to use it.
Like I said I know very little about wireless connections so will have to leave it for someone else to give you the help that you need.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017