Wireless/Phone Connection Problem!

Rharris9585 10:14 18 Jul 2006

Please can anyone advise what I need to do or what I'm doing wrong....I've bought a new laptop, which is connected to (AOL) broadband via a Netgear wireless router. There are also two telephones in the house, both of which require ADSL filters attached at the phone sockets in order for the phones to work. However....it mucks up the phones, as when the phone rings, only one phone rings and the ringing tone is very strange!?

If I remove one of the filters, then the phones revert to working as normal, but then broadband connection doesn't operate with only one filter?

I've contacted BT but there is no problem with the telephone line their end.

Can anyone help please!?

dms05 11:53 18 Jul 2006

I think the ADSL filters are mainly to isolate your voice calls from your BB. If you remove the filter you may get noises on your voice calls but I would expect the BB to work.

All telephone lines have a maximum number of pieces of equipment you can use. It's called the REN (Ring Equivalent Number). If you've exceeded this then you may get problems. Each piece of equipment should tell you on it's lable what the REN is and just add then together. I don't know if ADSL filters have a REN value. I'm sure someone elses will! Add them all up and ask Bt if you've exceeded the REN for your circuit.

nob14 13:08 18 Jul 2006

REN of 4 in the UK. Is it original phone wiring in the house or has it been installed with an extension or by someone not a engineer?

Also if you have a sky box that needs a filter at the phone socket also.

Rharris9585 13:11 18 Jul 2006

Cheers guys! I think it could well be the REN overload! Will have to get a booster somewhere...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?