WIRELESS ZERO SERVICE

Solva 10:04 25 Sep 2007

Hello Chaps,
recently lost the ability to connect wirelessly despite being able to connect via a cable and my network being available.
I have taken various steps like having the line checked by my ISP, recreating the network bouncing the router.

Then realised that the problem probably relates to the wireless zero configuration savice. For some reason the service keeps stopping and I have to start it manually. Its stops everytime the computer is turned off, so when I restart the laptop I have to then start the service. But once I start it will drop off about three times then stay on. Once the service stays running I have no probs at all with the wireless. But Im just very curious as to why all of a sudden the service needs to be run manually.

Sorry forgot to add I have a dell latitude 640 with XP and standard DELL on board wireless adapter.

Thanks in advance

mgmcc 13:05 25 Sep 2007

If you have third-party wireless software (supplied by the adapter manufacturer) installed, this may be trying to take back control of the wireless networking and stopping the Wireless Zero Configuration service. That is certainly the most common reason for WZC being stopped when the PC is rebooted. Try uninstalling any third-party wireless software.

Solva 10:11 26 Sep 2007

Hello mgmcc, thanks for your reply.
Like I said in my post im using a DELL onboard wireless card. Not an external or 3rd party adapter.

Any other thoughts

Thanks

mgmcc 08:37 27 Sep 2007

Yes, I know you're using a built-in wireless adapter, but the distinction I was making was between the third-party *SOFTWARE* (i.e. the adapter's software) and Windows' own Wireless Zero Configuration.

Unless a Wireless Adapter is installed with "drivers only", there is normally also some wireless networking software associated with it. This can cause problems if you want to use Windows' own software, which is generally much easier to use.

Solva 09:21 27 Sep 2007

Ok, as far as I am aware I only installed the drivers only for the onboard card. Even if this is not the case would it suddenly start causing problems 5 months after down line. Up until now I have had no problems whatsoever. No I cant even connect with a cable even though I can detect the network and Im sending and receiving packets

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?