wireless works but "wired" doesn't

mrwoo 21:59 19 Jun 2009

I have a got a laptop successfully connecting wireless using a Linksys WRT54GS router on Virgin but connecting a desktop top "wired" with an ethernet just gets "limited or no connectivity". I have done IP config /release and /renew and scanned with AVG free and Malwarebytes, both finding nothing.

Wierdly, when I turn wireless off on my laptop to try connecting it with an Ethernet it has the same problem but re-connects o.k. when back on wireless.

I have also disconnected the Linksys router to connect straight into the virgin modem by Ethernet and still get limited or no connectivity.

If I wasn't connecting wireless I'd put it down to an ISP problem. Sorry for the long post but I'm stumped. Any help very much appreciated.

mgmcc 22:09 19 Jun 2009

It is always possible that the router's built-in Network Switch (the four LAN ports) has failed, so that you can only connect to it "wirelessly".

Try performing a "hard reset" to return it to the factory default settings and then set it up again from scratch and see if that sorts it.

>>> I have also disconnected the Linksys router to
>>> connect straight into the virgin modem by
>>> Ethernet and still get limited or no connectivity.

Did you follow the correct procedure when swapping the connection to the Cable Modem? You need to power everything off, including the Cable Modem which must be left without power for several minutes, so that it loses the association between the existing connection (recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address it has allocated. When powered on, it will recognise a new connection and allocate a different IP address to it.

mrwoo 22:46 19 Jun 2009

mgmcc - thanks a lot. Thought the router wouldn't need a "hard reset" as wireless was working but have just done it, set it up from scratch & all is working o.k.

Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?