Wireless works, Wierd Doesn't!

redrain 09:23 26 Nov 2007

I Have talk talk broadband. When I connect to my network wirelessly through my laptop, the internet works fine! My router is physically connected to my pc, and thats were i am having the problem. Everytime i open internet explorer it keeps trying to dial up, and then wont connect. ive tried selecting "never dial a connection" from the settings, thinking that this would force the pc to realise that its going through a network cable and not dialing up, but still doesnt work! Any thoughts, im trying my best to avoid ringing the idiots at talk talk :D

ambra4 10:59 26 Nov 2007

Try this

Web Browser Settings

Internet Explorer 4.0 or Higher

Start IE web browser. Select-Tools-Internet Options-Connection Tab

In the “Connection” screen, there are three selections:

“Never dial a connection”,

“Dial whenever a network connection is not present”

“Always dial my default connection”.

If you can make a selection, select “Never dial a connection”.

If you cannot make a selection, select “LAN Settings”

Untick marks next to any of the displayed Options:

“Automatically detect settings”,

“Use automatic configuration script”

“Use a proxy server”.

Click “OK”. Then click “OK” again in the “Internet Options” page

Network Connection Setting

Click-Start- Setting-Network Connection-New Connection Wizard

Select-Connect to the Internet-Next

Select-Set Up My Connection Manually-Next

Select-Connect using a broadband connection that is always on

Next-Finish

redrain 12:08 26 Nov 2007

no its still isnt working :(

mgmcc 12:52 26 Nov 2007

Is the PC's Local Area Connection getting an Ip address from the router? If necessary, post the details here:

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters installed in the PC. Right click in the Command Prompt window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the details into a forum reply here. (If that PC cannot get online, paste the details into a Notepad file, transfer to a PC that is online and paste in the details.

redrain 19:44 26 Nov 2007

It seems rather weird, but its working now. i was fiddling about and its ok now! its so odd, all of a sudden in the network connections window underneath the broadband connection, a new catagory appeared called "internet gateway" appeared and in that "interenet connection". Now i have a internet connection. I have no idea why its not using the "talk talk broadband" connection, and where this came from!

But i have the internet now, so im not to concerned :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?