WIRELESS WOE

MHG15 06:00 18 Jan 2006

NTL BROADBAND CONNECTION PROVIDED DOWNSTAIRS,
DESKTOP PC UPSTAIRS!IMPRACTICLE TO MAKE DIRECT LINK VIA CABLE TO PC. BOUGHT NETGEAR WIRELESS CABLE/DSL ROUTER WPN824, (PC HAS BUILT IN WIRELESS CARD) WITH VIEW TO LINKING PC TO NTL BROADBAND. DILEMMA IS I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GO ABOUT CONFIGURING PC AND ROUTER TOGETHER. DO I DISMANTLE PC ROOM UPSTAIRS TO BRING DESKTOP PC TO BROADBAND POINT THEN SET THAT UP WITH NTL DISC PROVIDED OR CAN I PLUG ROUTER INTO NTL MODEM DOWNSTAIRS AND CONNECT WIRELESSLY TO IT FROM UPSTAIRS?...HELP!

dms05 07:39 18 Jan 2006

I think you should move your PC downstairs so you can ethernet cable connect to the DSL Router. Set the Router and WiFi up over cable then move your PC back upstairs. After that you should be able to administer the system over the Wireless link.

PC Bilbo 08:01 18 Jan 2006

Are you running XP? If so it comes with a step by step Wizard to help set it up.

MHG15 16:58 18 Jan 2006

Hi Guys...many thanks for your time. System is XP but have as I said, just had broadband put in but have NOT configured it as PC is upstairs and as said before NTL modem downstairs. Do I run the NTL disc in the Desktop PC after temporary move downstairs, do I just connect PC to NTL modem first and then shut it down to introduce router to continue set up? Any help with this is much appreciated.

MHG15 19:33 20 Jan 2006

Many thanks dms05 bit the bullet and proceeded as you suggested. Everything working nicely!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?