wireless/ wired speed difference.. why?

jonostar 13:33 15 Jul 2010

using a netgear wireless router wrg614 ,i can only get 2mbs max if im lucky. wired i get 12.. signal strength is excellent . is there a way to increase this.. many thanks in advance

using a mac and also using a xp laptop, both signals excellent but speed low

craig ..

mgmcc 14:04 15 Jul 2010

How are you measuring the speed? 12Mbps is a strange speed for a "wired" connection because, if you have a 20Mbps connection, it is very slow. With a 10Mbps connection, it shouldn't be that high. ????

The "port" speed as shown in the computer should obviously be 100Mbps wired and 54Mbps wireless.

As regards the 2Mbps wireless speed, try changing the Channel in the router's settings to see if interference on the existing Channel is causing the slow performance.

jonostar 14:11 15 Jul 2010

it should be 20 . i can cope with that drop for now. just the wireless dropping so much is an issue at the moment

i will try changing the channels

i am measuring using sppedtes. google searched.

is that correct?
many thanks again

Pine Man 14:11 15 Jul 2010

I have tested wired versus WIFI and get just over 12Mbps wired and just over 10Mbps WIFI.

Just like jonostar a difference of about 2Mbps, which I half expected as you must lose some signal with WIFI and I expect the loss gets greater the further away from the router it is.

mgmcc. Why is 12Mbps 'strange'. You certainly don't always get what the ISP advertises.

woodchip 14:12 15 Jul 2010

I had that problem with a Desktop and a HP Laptop, the Laptop was about half the download speed of the Desktop. I used TCP Optimizer to make it work at the same speed. Its a Windows Settings thing.
click here

woodchip 14:13 15 Jul 2010

I only used the TCP on the Laptop

jonostar 14:31 15 Jul 2010

MANY THANKS .. sorted it out.. i used a programme specific for mac to boost speed and now seems to be working fine. speed test is giving nearly ten .... good enough. will run the tcp optimizer on laptop ..

thanks again

Chris_Byers 14:55 15 Jul 2010

Let's do some myth busting shall we?
Firstly, even though your router says it has a max speed of 54Mbps, you will be very lucky to see even half of that. There are several reasons for this, but the ones that affect you mostly will be interference from other wireless setups in your local area, mobile phones, Blu-Tooth, wireless channels used and power settings. It's a bit too short here to go into depth, but there are ways of mitigating these. If you are wired to your router it should be reporting as a 100Mbps connection. I suspect you are using some kind of broadband speed testing site to get your results from yes? As they don't seem to be the norm for even wired or wireless connectivity. What is probably happening is that whilst you have signed up for a 20Mbps connection it is being swamped at the local exchange and your speeds dropped due to contention (everyone trying to get a share of limited bandwidth).
Even if you have a 'g' rated router I doubt that you will ever get close to your subscribed speeds unless you upgrade to a 'n' router and wireless cards.
There is a bit of an old article here from Microsoft, but it makes a good starting point for making home wi-fi more useable: click here
Secondly. Be very careful when you use TCP 'improvement' packages, as often, unless you tell your router about the changes it has made (packet sizes especially), and understand these changes yourself, you could actually end up with a worse connection!
!

woodchip 17:01 15 Jul 2010

These are my Wireless speeds from when I posted above.
Through BB Max site

Download speed on a 8Meg TalkTalk Line 1.8 mile from the Phone Exchange
Down 7192kbps
Upload 842kbps.

Before using TCP optimizer I only got just over 3000kbps download on my laptop

mgmcc 21:00 15 Jul 2010

>>> Why is 12Mbps 'strange'. You certainly don't always get what the ISP advertises

Because with Cable, unlike ADSL, you should get close to the correct speed for the package. I have 10Mbps cable which consistently delivers over 9Mbps. With a 20Mbps connection, an actual speed of only 12Mbps would be far too slow.

Pine Man 12:01 16 Jul 2010

Oh now I understand. You assumed that jonostar receives his broadband via cable from his ISP whereas I assumed it was a cable connection from his router to his PC/laptop.

I don't think jonostar actually has cable broadband;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone