Wireless and Wired networking

welshswindler 06:19 05 Nov 2008

I've just got my nan a laptop so that she can talk to other family members on the net. I've got the internet setup on my pc through a usb modem and have bought a sweex wireless broadband router. My plan was to link the pc up to the router with the cable and then link the laptop to the router using wireless and then running the internet off my pc. I've had a play around and on the laptop I've got the laptop connected to he router, but im not sure how to get the pc connected to it, and then how to run the internet on the laptop through via the router then my pc.

The pc runs Windows XP and the laptop is Windows Vista.

LAPTOP ---- ROUTER ---- PC
|
|
INTERNET

Hope this makes some sort of sense, and if anyone knows of ways to solve this or a better way around it then would be much appreciated

Many Thanks

Alan

TonyM 11:19 05 Nov 2008

Have you still got the USB modem in use ? The router should replace that and it connects to the Internet and distributes the signal by wire or wireless ..

FreeCell 14:15 05 Nov 2008

Alan
TonyM sounds to be on the right lines. With a broadband router you should use this to connect to your telephone line and allow any PC connected to it (wired or wireless) to connect to the internet.

click here for good overall guide to setting up a wireless network. Note its in 5 parts so follow links at the bottom of the page for other sections. Should give you a good understanding of the set up required.

dawood 16:09 07 Nov 2008

If your only need to share the Internet connection with another pc only, then you can connect directly from pc (with Internet) to other pc directly and enable Internet Connection Sharing click here . That means you don't have to use router in this case.

If your modem is the one with RJ45 network port (not USB), then you can connect modem directly to router and set up a small network click here .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone