Wireless Vista ????

Nick1981 09:18 04 Apr 2007

I have just brought a new laptop with built in wireless. I have paired the router (netgear) and the laptop and the laptop can now see the router via wireless. However, i can only see the internet with a hard wired connection to the router? AOL tell me although the router will work i wired i cant use it as wireless with Vista even though the laptop can see the router wireless?? Any Ideas would be apprciaated...
Thanks
Nick

skyblue58 14:36 04 Apr 2007

aol told me the very same thing..they even told me told erase vista and install xp..they talk complete rubbish..my new advent works fine with vista and netgeat 834 wireless router. use the installation disk and set it up wired 1st then go wireless..its quiet simple once youve done it a few times..open network and sharing center hopefully you will be able to see the name of your network, if not select manually conect to a network and type in the name of your network..then connect to network.dont forget you will need to input your 24 digit wep key. which im sure you have.good luck. mine has been wireless with vista for weeks..no probs

Nick1981 14:41 04 Apr 2007

Thanks, do you know if your router is a v2 or v3? Do you know if i need a new aol set up disc for vista?
Thanks

skyblue58 17:39 04 Apr 2007

my router is v3. you will need aol 9vr (vista ready) which i just downloaded off aol web site. hope this helps

Nick1981 20:14 04 Apr 2007

Just downloaded VR and here i am... Wireless again!!! Thanks for all your help
Nick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?