Wireless tick box not staying put?

cofi 11:54 18 Jul 2006

WindowsXP home on laptop.I.S.P.=B.T.Internet.
On the wireless network connections properties box there is a little box that has to be checked=use windows to configure my wireless network settings.The problem is that this box never stays checked and when I return to it the box has no check in it.B.T.Wireless has enough problems at the best of times without loosing the check in this box.Why do`s it disappear and what can be done to retain it? Is it a Windows problem or a B.T.problem? Thanks in anticipation.

ArrGee 12:07 18 Jul 2006

Are you using the BT software provided to connect to your network. If so, then it will overide the Windows network detection.

cofi 12:41 18 Jul 2006

When I first went on B.T.Internet I did use the C.D. provided by them to set everything up so I assume what you say is correct in my case.But I find that connecting to wireless is easier when the box is checked in properties.I manage quite well with the wireless now,but it can be a bit of a B****** to get a signal at times.Their help line is too much bother unless it is something serious.

ArrGee 12:42 18 Jul 2006

Once you have setup your network using the BT software, you can then remove it and let Windows take over.

ArrGee 12:44 18 Jul 2006

In terms of the signal, make sure the router is in a high enough position first of all. I had my router about a foot off the gorund, bad reception, then moved it just a foot higher and the reception is excellent.

cofi 14:32 18 Jul 2006

Yes I agree the position of the router will make a difference but I manage well enough now that I am used to it`s foibles etc. I don`t think the B.T.Wireless is a particularly good one but it will have to do for now. Am I right in thinking that all this wireless business has still got some problems to sort out? There seem to be a lot of queries about it on forums like this one.I wonder if wireless is the problem most often asked about on the forum? What about a top ten of forum problems?

ArrGee 16:07 18 Jul 2006

Well, I don't particularly this it's a 'wireless' problem per se. It's more a matter of the hard/software set-up. I use a BT Voyager 2100. This provides a wireless connection to my main desktop and four laptops dotted around the room. Also attached to this is a BT Voyager 10V Telephone Adapter, allowing me to make broandband calls without the need for switching on the pc. All works very well (after a bit of head-scratching in the beginning!)

cofi 17:16 18 Jul 2006

Yes it is the head-scratching to start with that got Me.As I said I manage well enough now.All that head scratching makes Me wonder about a toupee.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?