Wireless switch went dead

Evault 13:01 04 Oct 2009

Hi,

Yesterday eve my Sony Vaio laptop (on Vista) WLAN switch went dead. I didn't do any upload or upgrade, it was working fine in the morning.

I had similar issue when I purchased the laptop in Feb 2009. I had to delete and upload Atheros WLAN driver from Sony webpage to get it working and be able to see all wireless networks.

Tried this again but didn't work this time.

Has anyone got any suggestion, firware upgrade/update or else, before I send it back to Sony?

Many thanks in advance

ArrGee 15:23 17 Oct 2009

Seeing as you have already tried updating the driver, it could well be a hardware issue and may need to ship back to Sony.

But first, check to see if there are any driver conflicts in your device manager. I think on Vista it the same as XP, whereby you right-click on My Computer - Properties - Hardware tab - Device Manager.

Anything on the list that has a yellow exclamation mark has a driver problem.

Evault 08:40 25 Oct 2009

Hi ArrGee, thanks for the reply. There was indeed a yellow exclamation mark. After chatting to Sony Support centre I did re-apply all the laptop original programmes and drivers (and wiping al my data).

This fixed the yellow exclamation mark, and I was once again be able to see the WLAN button. But I was also back to where I started, as I still could not tick it to turn it green and activate the wireless.

Sony agreed that it must be a physical/HW issue since everything was tried. I'm shipping it back to them this week, as it is stil under warrantee. I'll keep you posted until resolution.

Evault 17:17 09 Nov 2009

Hi, problem was finally with the wireless switch. Sent it back to Sony and got it all back fully working within days. They replaced the mother board. Switch was definitely loose.

ambra4 04:38 10 Nov 2009

Tick the box and click resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?