Wireless speed checking

Bike-it 19:15 29 Jan 2009

I have just starting to use a wireless laptop and i would like to check what sort of speed i am getting while on the net, any info please.

MAJ 19:19 29 Jan 2009

This speed tester is fairly good, click here do the test a few times to get an average.

Bike-it 19:36 29 Jan 2009

Thanks Maj
The nearest server is Dublin which is sixty miles away i ran it anyway and the results were download speed 4243 kbps, upload speed 370 kbps are these results good or bad?

MAJ 19:46 29 Jan 2009

Not bad at this time of night, if you're on an 'up to' 8Mbit ADSL connection, Bike-it. How far are you from the Newry exchage? I'm in Armagh on an 8Mbit connection, very close to our exchange and I'm getting 7meg down and 850kb up.

Bike-it 20:11 29 Jan 2009

Maj i am about 1 mile from the exchange, yes i am on up to 8mbit ADSL connection, are you getting those speeds on a wireless network?

MAJ 20:37 29 Jan 2009

Yes I'm wireless and getting that speed at the moment, Bike-it, the router is upstairs and I'm downstairs on the laptop watching telly. I'm about 1 KM from the exchange. I get the same speeds when wireless on my desktop or wired on my other laptop (which isn't wireless enabled).

If you are only 1 mile from your exchange, I would expect you to be getting a slightly better speed, but the speed you get depends on a number of factors, distance from exchange, line quality and contention ratio. Try it a little later when the schoolchildren go to bed and quit downloading music, games and films, you'll probably see an improvement in your speed. I'm with Talktalk, by the way.

Bike-it 20:56 29 Jan 2009

I might try the router in different parts of the house and check the speed and drop-outs.

Bike-it 23:16 29 Jan 2009

Tried the router in the kitchen and tested again around 11.30pm, download speed 4.68mbps upload speed 0.37mbps using the internet about two hours now not one drop-out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?