WIRELESS SOLUTIONS REQUIRED

D1V 22:42 09 Oct 2007

HELP...JUST PURCHASED NETGEAR WG111T WIRELESS KEY VIA SKY FOR PC AND CANNOT GET CONNECTED TO MY BROADBAND PROVIDED BY SKY.WIRELESS LAPTOP CONNECTS OK.BEEN TOLD TO CHANGE KEY FROM WPA TO WEP

HELP

Ashrich 23:29 09 Oct 2007

Ok , first of all , if you are using XP try letting it manage your connection , if that doesn't work I sometimes find that just changing the WPA lettering to something other than the supplied code will also work , or as you said , changing to 128 bit WEP , oh , and any chance you can turn the CAP lock off , all capitals is considered shouting on forums ...

Ashley

D1V 22:32 10 Oct 2007

ashley,cheers for advice on wireless probs.not actually tried yet using your advice yet,very much a novice when it comes to this sort of thing.any further advice in beginners language would very much appreciated.caps lock def off from now on.. u learn something everyday.

div

Ashrich 23:02 10 Oct 2007

Go to ...start/settings/control panel/network connections. Right click on your wireless connection and select " properties , and under the " Advanced tab " tick the box " Allow Windows to manage my connection " . To change to WEP , type in to your browser 192.168.0.1 to enter the set up pages , go to " wireless " , you can change the security from there , WEP codes are what they call hexadecimal , a combination of 10 letters and numbers using letters A to F and numbers 0 to 9 ( 64bit ) or 26 of the same ( 128 bit , stronger ) save the settings , exit the browser and try connecting again . Make sure you write down exactly what has been entered in to the router so you can copy it back correctly .

Ashley

Ashrich 23:05 10 Oct 2007

Forogt to say , now that XP is managing your wireless , go back to the single monitor icon on the task bar , double click on it and " view wireless networks , find yours , double click on it , it will ask for the new code , you enter it twice , one below the other , and click on connect , if all is well , that should do it !

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?