Wireless Signal strength variation

garrema 19:40 16 Apr 2009

Hell;
I have a Thompson TG585v7 router connection to my XP PC via a USB dongle. The distance of the desktop is 10m and there are two walls between the router and PC.
As I write the signal is "good" sometimes it is "very good" often the signal is "low" and may even loose the signal.
No phone activity or microwave Cooking is going on.

Any ideas how to make it more consistent?
Thanks

Tech Guy 20:51 16 Apr 2009

Next doors wireless signal could be interfering with yours.

Try changing your routers wireless channel to 1, 6 or 11.

garrema 22:41 16 Apr 2009

Thanks Tech Guy;
There is another protected network I can detect a weak signal and only sometimes -not now as I write- & signal strenth is good.

How do I go about changing the channel?

Tech Guy 23:08 16 Apr 2009

First log into your router with either address: 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 (the address is normaly on a sticker on the bottom of the router along with username and password)

When promped enter username and password.

Once in router, goto wireless setting and find where he states "Channel", maybe with a dropdown box of numbers.

Choose channel 1. Click "Apply" or "Save"

If the router still has poor signal, try channel 6 then channel 11 if 6 doesn't work.

garrema 18:58 17 Apr 2009

Thanks Tech guy.
Found where to do this. The router was set at Auto channel detection so I have set to Manual Ch1 and will try your other channel suggestions pending how it looks.

Closing question though - what are the other ones for i.2,3,4,5, , 7,8 etc...?

Tech Guy 21:49 17 Apr 2009

Channels 1 - 11 , these are the available channels for wireless G, and are different segments of the 2.4GHZ spectrum. The different channels are over lapping, so 1 overlaps with 2, 2 overlaps with 3 etc.

If two different channels overlap say; you use 1 and next door uses 4, the channels overlap and the part that overlaps is where you get poor signal or no signal as they cancel each other out.

G has only 3 non-overlapping channels 1, 6 and 11. So these are the only channels that should ever be used.

Start at channel 1 and try that, then 6 an finally 11. One should give you a better signal.

P.S. aerial should be pointing straight up with no metal objects in it's way (metal reflects the radio signal, other materials absorb it).

Hope this makes sense, engineers do not make good teachers - sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?