Wireless Signal Problems

fifelady 00:05 07 Jul 2006

I have a desktop pc in upstairs bedroom which i have connected to a netgear wirless router. The kids desktop is in downstairs dining room which is at the other side of the house, ie directly down from router, is livingroom then through to kitchen, then dining room which is an extension to the back of the house.

The downstairs pc has a usb wirless adaptor. Everythin appears to be set up correctly. The downstairs pc connects to the network occasionally it shows a 90% link, low noise, but at most gets up to about a 12% signal strength before dropping down then disconnecting. Only seems to remain connected for a few minutes.

Any ideas.

sue

luthier 15:40 07 Jul 2006

I had a similar problem with a Linksys wireless router. I solved it by making a small parabolic reflector out of cardboard / kitchen foil (took about 10mins). I now get a good signal throughout the house. click here

ade.h 16:10 07 Jul 2006

That distance tends to be a bit too far for a USB receiver to achieve a good and consistent signal without some help, DIY or otherwise. When installing a wireless setup in a large house, I use a PCI card with a seperate aerial whenever possible.

fifelady 20:12 08 Jul 2006

I am afraid that link, was double dutch to me. Not much of a techie. The second post would that mean changing the antenna or is there more.

sue

ade.h 20:35 08 Jul 2006

"The second post would that mean changing the antenna ..."

No, it just means using an internal PCI card with a plug-in desktop aerial; the ability to use one is a big benefit of desktops that laptops lack.

luthier 09:28 10 Jul 2006

Please rest assured I'm not a techie either. This link as a similar idea with perhaps better info on how to make it. click here The final product just slips over your existing antenna. Try it - it definitely helps. Good luck.

dms05 14:16 10 Jul 2006

fifelady - or you could buy one for under a Tenner click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017