Wireless Signal Issues

unintended_bliss 15:32 10 Jan 2008

Me and my boyfriend are unsuccessfully trying to set up a wireless network for his family next door. We have recently connected a Netgear GD834 ADSL2+ Modem, Router with 4-port 10/100 Mbps Switch to their main desktop and this is working fine on the internet. We have another desktop which we are trying to connect to this network which is about 10metres from the other. We have connected a Wireless G USB Network Adapter to this computer and it is picking up our own signal from next door but its only weak so it wont work. The netgear modem/router does not appear on the list of available netowrks. Which I find strange as it is not having to travel far. I was just wondering id anyone could advise me what I could do to sort this?

Jim_F 17:23 10 Jan 2008

Signal strength is down to distance, whats in the way (how solid the walls are), the channel used by their router and any interference - including your own WiFi.
As a starter have you checked that their wirelss router is at least 5 channels away from yours eg - my neighbours is on channel 6 and mine on channel 11 ?

K_elt 21:41 10 Jan 2008

Hope you don't think me cheeky, but a quick check of the Netgear site for set-up info says a DG834 isn't necessarily wireless and may need an additional component to make it so. See click here!
Can you confirm the one you have is a wireless unit?
And try here for an online manual click here.

Jim

Dipso 13:40 11 Jan 2008

As K_elt says the wireless model is the DG834G, is this what you have?

unintended_bliss 19:51 11 Jan 2008

Im just really dull sorry guys, after checking the box its for wired connections not wireless, Im just the most stupid person on earth, sorry for wasting ur time now u can all have a laugh at the dumb blondes expense :rolls eyes: thanks for the responses tho

Dipso 20:33 11 Jan 2008

No worries...we all make mistakes :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?