Wireless signal boost

Flopper 11:35 30 Sep 2008

While using my laptop wirelessly in the lounge I noticed the signal was very poor and the connection slow.
I have a good Netgear router (I cannot recall the model) which is situated in the loft and it will be difficult to move it as I also have three wired PCs attached to it.
Is there anything I can do to boost the signal, maybe have a router or something as a repeater at a lower level in the house?
I would like to avoid running cables if I can.

dawood 15:41 30 Sep 2008

Check these 4 tips to improve wireless coverage click here and why my wireless network speed is slow click here articles, hope can help you.

L8-tian 22:38 30 Sep 2008

To Boost up the wireless signal, try to upgrade the firmware version for the router and check for the wireless signal.If still you have same problem..

provide me the model number of router,Let me give you informations about the access point to repeat the signals wirelessly.in netgear we have different model numbers available for access points.

L8tian

ambra4 14:47 01 Oct 2008

Look at these options

If your router antenna can be removed look at replacing with a hi gain antenna

Hi-Gain™ 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

click here

Or you can add a Hi-Gain™ Wireless-G Range Extender in the areas with a low wireless signal

Hawking HWUR54G Hi-Gain Wireless-G Range Extender

click here

You have to upgrade the firmware in the Hi-Gain™ Wireless-G Range Extender to get the max range

click here

Download the Users Manual and the Quick Installation Guide and take a read

Flopper 11:23 02 Oct 2008

Thanx for the replies thus far.
I will check a few things over the weekend and may get back to you.

ambra4 12:16 02 Oct 2008

Take a look at this one

NETGEAR Wall-Plugged Wireless Range Extender Kit

click here

setecio 13:45 02 Oct 2008

ambra4
Just an observation :
Looking at Netgear's data sheet for those I was surprised that they consist of a XE102 and a WGX102. The XE102 is only capable of 14 Mbps. If it's real figure is well below this, it would explain poor speeds from the devices if on a fast broadband connection.

Even so they seem good value.

ceasar1982 22:36 03 Oct 2008

I'm thinking to make wireless connection between my house and office. In first I've got two computers, in second also two, desktop and laptop. Ordinary broadband router is useless for me. I have found this device (Ovislink AirLive 5470 Access Point + Router + Wi-Fi Client mode)

click here

They claim that this device works in Bridge mode, in Repeater mode, as a Wi-Fi card with detachable antenna, as an ordinary Router and in Gateway mode. Have anyone experience in connecting devices like this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?