WIRELESS SETUP WITH HOME XP

paddy6 13:02 14 Jul 2005

Ihave a belkin router and Zoom ADsl modem connected to a PC.
My laptop has a belkin wireless card.
Both machines can access internet and both can see the router and the modem.
The router is connected to the PC with a network cable.

But I cant share files between the two.The PC doesn't see the laptop and the laptop doesn.t see the PC.
The laptop works fine all over the house with a good signal.

I have home XP on both.

Any suggestions about sharing files.

Forum Editor 15:51 14 Jul 2005

via a wireless router doesn't mean you can share files between the two machines. You'll need to run the Networking wizard on both computers in order to do that.

The wizard will step you through the process, and all you need to remember is that both computers must belong to the same workgroup - by default you'll be offered MSHOME, and unless you particularly want to use another name you may as well accept that. You can give each computer its own name on the network, 'Main' and 'Laptop' for instance, and you must enable sharing on the files and/or folders which you want each machine to show to the other. In networking practice it isn't a good idea to share the root of a drive from the security point of view, so don't share the whole of your C drive - just the folders that you'll be using.

You enable sharing by right-clicking on the file or folder and selecting 'sharing and security'. This will open a dialogue box in which you can select sharing options.

paddy6 08:20 15 Jul 2005

by switching off the firewall on both machines i can now share files.
But obviously my system is exposed now.
I will experiment with the firewall.

Gizmo.mp3 19:50 15 Jul 2005

to the 'Safe Zone' / DMZ / Trusted Zone, etc
Then the firewall should allow traffic between the two PCs but not from 'outside'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires