Wireless setup

  pipfan 20:19 01 Nov 2010


I have a D-Link DIR-615 wireless router which connects to my Virgin Modem one way and to my PC ethernet the other, both wired. I have a laptop for work, which is why I needed to set up wireless at home.

I'll soon need to move my PC to another room but the modem etc needs to stay where it is. My problem is that I've no idea what I need to do to have my PC and DIR-615 'talk' to each other wirelessly. I think I need a wireless card for the PC (?) but it's all a bit of mystery to me.

Any help or advice for what I need to get and what I should do with it greatly appreciated !

Thanks everyone


  Nontek 20:22 01 Nov 2010

For the PC you can get a PCI Wireless Card, very cheap. For a laptop, a wireless dongle, just Google - plenty to choose from.

  Nontek 20:29 01 Nov 2010

Even better for home use click here should have thought of this first LoL, I am using these very plugs at home myself.

  Strawballs 04:07 02 Nov 2010

The chances are the company Laptop will already have wireless and I would suggest USB with wire extension to get it away from the electrical interference close to the back of the machine.

  Strawballs 04:13 02 Nov 2010

If the router was not supplied by Virgin you will need to setup the wireless first by wire before you move the PC

click here

  at-door-shop 05:49 02 Nov 2010

you can get a PCI Wireless Card

click here

  onthelimit 08:37 02 Nov 2010

I would go with Nontek's solution and use homeplugs. Can be got for £36 a pair and (usually) faster than wireless.

  Nontek 08:44 02 Nov 2010

As onthelimit says, Homeplug is faster than wireless in my own case.

  Nontek 10:10 02 Nov 2010

If you buy a twin set of Homeplugs as per my link above, I can assure you that they are the easiest ever things to set-up. If you can push a plug into a wall-socket and a ethernet cable, from that plug into the connections on the router and on the desktop, then that is literally all there is to it - no need even to use the supplied CD that comes with the plugs. You then insert the other Homeplug (from the pair supplied) into any mains wall-socket in another room, connect the supplied ethernet cable from that plug to the other PC/laptop and you are done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?