wireless setup

Martyn-1141729 17:20 09 May 2007

My telephone line is in one room and my PC in another so I bought a netgear DG834G wireless router/modem with usb wireless adaptor. How do I set it up because the first instruction is "Plug in the ethernet cable between PC and modem. I don't have an ethernet card and anyway this would defeat the object of the exercise.Am I missing something or is this arrangement not possible?

Confused

Danoh 17:43 09 May 2007

With most routers, you will require a PC with an Ethernet port.
I got a PCI Ethernet card for one of my PCs for well under £10 and it auto-senses the speed of the network connection - works great!

Once you have that in your PC, you will need to move it into the room with the telephone line to get the router setup.
Then disconnect the ethernet cable and set it to work with the wireless USB adapter as well (in the same room).
After that you can move the PC back into the other room.

irishrapter 18:34 09 May 2007

Or just bring the router to the computer and set it up, enter in your ISP settings and enable wireless.
Disconnect Ethernet cable then connect via wireless, if you can connect to the router via wireless okay then you can bring the router to the phone socket and connect it to your ADSL line.

Danoh 19:02 09 May 2007

If he has the router connected to the ADSL splitter and through that to a BT phone line, while also connected to a PC via Ethernet cable, he can let the Netgear Installation wizard do all his ISP settings for him - a much easier option and less prone to errors.

Danoh 19:03 09 May 2007

Oh! kahoon, you have ticked this as resolved - is it working then? Do post back as to how you did it so someone else with the same query can read and follow your successful footsteps.

Martyn-1141729 20:34 10 May 2007

Thanks everyone for the tips. Mnaged to buy an ethernet board for less than £8 and it works. Now my problem is getting a belkin all in one print server going. Do I have to revert back to the ethernet setup to program this as well?

setecio 22:15 10 May 2007

I'm not sure what you mean by 'all in one print server' .... which model number is it ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?