Wireless set up

  lilythepink 11:24 19 Nov 2006

I have a wireless laptop, which is working fine, but how do I have my desktop wireless?
I am with NTL, and persumably I have to connect my router to the set top box somehow.
I want to do away with the ugly cable that surrounds two of my rooms>>>>


  [email protected] 11:28 19 Nov 2006

Check click here

  Technotiger 11:30 19 Nov 2006

Hi, you need a pci Ethernet card in your Desktop connected to something like a Safecom Modem Router.
You could then wirelessly connect laptop to internet.

This is what I have - works great.


  Technotiger 11:32 19 Nov 2006

Hmmm, sorry just noticed you are with NTL, which I assume is Cable - I am with BT, via normal phone line.

  lilythepink 11:33 19 Nov 2006

I have my laptop wireless, it is getting the router connected by wire to the set top box at the tv.

  Technotiger 11:35 19 Nov 2006

Very sorry, I cannot advise re NTL cable.

  ed-0 11:50 19 Nov 2006

You would need to connect a DSL router similar to this click here or these click here to the NTL set top box.

You would then need to make your desktop wireless with something like this click here that just plugs into a usb port or one of these click here that would fit inside your computer.

The above are for a moderate sized house with out to many thick walls. If you live in a large house with a large garden, think of getting a pre-n router and equipment, they have three aerials. The range is far greater.

  Taff™ 11:54 19 Nov 2006

The principle is the same. If you have a wireless router already that connects to your laptop just put the PCI Wireless card into the desktop PC and connect to the router. (The wireless router will be connected to the NTL/Telewest cable modem by cable anyway)

The alternative to the internal card is to use a wireless USB adapter which I think is a better option. At least you can move it around to obtain the best signal.

  lilythepink 11:59 19 Nov 2006

I have a modem for broadband, and the set top box for tv! My laptop has an internal card, so I would then need to buy a card for my desktop - would I

  Taff™ 19:38 19 Nov 2006

Either the internal card or the USB adapter. Your laptop already connects to the internet through a wireless router doesn`t it? (That router in turn is connected to the cable modem by an RJ45 cable)

  ed-0 19:45 19 Nov 2006

This something that is unclear to us.

Is the laptop connecting to the internet without it attched to the modem?

If it is, you have a wifi modem router.

If it is not on the internet or connects via a cable. The can you post the make and model of the modem so we can check.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?