wireless security ?s...doing it right?

prttylilfilley 21:22 17 Jan 2006

When I try to use the IEEE authentication it seems to go through fine then I get disconnected to the network. Sometimes I can still access internet even when disconnected. I have a Dell with WiFi built in and a Belking 802.11g wireless router. Any suggestions?

ade.h 00:02 18 Jan 2006

Here is how your router's config page should look. click here For obvious reasons, I have replaced my key with asterisks, but you get the idea.

Once you log in to the config page (which you would be wise to keep passworded) select security from the left pane and choose WPA with PSK (pre-shared key). Your key should be as obscure as possible to defeat auto-generators; ygkv186=@#4723 for example.

Then when connecting a wireless device to your newly secured network, you will need to enter this key when prompted upon the first connection. The key will automatically be stored by the wireless device (a laptop in this case).

ade.h 00:05 18 Jan 2006

If you are trying any other method than the above, then you are in all likelyhood way off beam. Take the time to read the CD manual that is provided with all Belkin routers (and most other brands).

ade.h 21:11 18 Jan 2006

Feedback???

prttylilfilley 05:51 19 Jan 2006

Sorry about the delay. Thank you Ade.h for replying and helping me figure this all out. Once I read the belkin manual, got to the online utility, it was a breeze. i only wish it hadn't taken me so long to figure out what I needed to do to get to the utility. I'm all secure and tight as a bug in a rug! thanks again.

ade.h 13:13 19 Jan 2006

Happy to help. Oh, and two more important things that you should do - 1) password the config page itself, as I mentioned above. 2) Look for SSID and change it to something more unique than the brand of router. By default, it is Belkin54g.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?