Wireless security question

charlton200 08:15 26 May 2008

Hell.
Just recently gone to o2 wireless broadband.
I set up my password on wep encryption.
I than learnt that this was not very secure.
I altered it to wpa and in the process, I am not sure how, i cocked it all up and couldn't get on the internet at all.
I was on the phone for 1 1/2 hours to o2 and they had one hell of a job and than only got me back on to WEP encryption.

My question is how secure is my wireless network and how easy is it for someone to access by bank details etc.

O2 doesn't supply a fact sheet for changing to wpa so i am very dubious trying again without detail instructions.

But for the time being I wanted to know how secure i am on wep encryption with my own password.

Thanks fro an beginner

James Watt 11:21 26 May 2008

Hi Charlton.
Just out of interest, have you done a check on available Wi-Fi connections your comp' detects in your area?
I have 4 neighbours using Wi-Fi Modems I can detect from my lounge, if I walk along my road with my LapTop I can detect more of them.

If you cannot detect any, then you're safer from being Hacked than myself.

I'm needing to upgrade from Dial-Up, to BroadBand. The supplied Modem is only WiFi so I'll be in a similar situation to you soon.

It is possible on some units to set it so it does not "Broadcast" thereby "hiding" your Wi-Fi signal from others.

Hope this helps?

Regards James Watt

charlton200 13:25 26 May 2008

Thanks James

At times a can see 2 other networks and other times none.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?