Wireless Security-Leaching

torpid 15:33 19 Feb 2009

Hello. Hope someone can help.

I was wondering if there was a way to see if anyone is leaching off of my wireless connection? I havnt had wireless in the past and i am a bit uncertain to the possibility of this. Anything basic I can check or maybe set-up to prevent this happening?
Or does an ordinary firewall block leachers?

thanks for any help.

MAJ 15:35 19 Feb 2009

Check in your router's configuration page, it'll show all connected devices in there.

Quiet Life 15:39 19 Feb 2009

You should at least have set up password protection or restrict access from individual computers by entering their unique mac addresses.

Quiet Life 15:49 19 Feb 2009

Your router is a hardware firewall but if you have an unprotected wireless system it will be open for anybody to access. As stated above at least password protection and or mac address.
The easiest way to obtain that is when connected to your LAN.
Open "Network Connections"
Select your Local Area Connection and right-click, select "Status".
In "Support" tab, click "Details".
Your MAC Address is the "Physical Address" listed in Network Connection Details.

Configuring a router depends on the model but as far as I am aware password and MAc address protection is universal.

rawprawn 15:52 19 Feb 2009

Check the security setting is set to WPA rather than WEP

torpid 16:06 19 Feb 2009

thanks for the replys.I have followed quiet lifes intructions and found the mac address, problem is i cant remember if i set up a password protection. Dont think i did to be honest. Where can i find mu routers config page-having trouble findint it! Also the security setting.

thanks again

grey george 17:14 19 Feb 2009

If you type 192.168.1.2 in to your browsers address bar it should take you to your routers home page.

Quiet Life 22:49 20 Feb 2009

It may not be 192.168.1.2 mine is 192.168.0.1
and a friends is 192.168.10.1.

If you right click on the LAN connection and then State then Support the gateway is your routers address.
If you can access your router wirelessly it will come up as Secure or Insecure depending on whether you have installed a password.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?